How to Get Away With Binge-Watching During the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Let’s face it, television companies do not care about when you are in school.  They are going to air new episodes and promotions beginning in September, whether you like it or not.  All summer, you don’t hear about any of the new shows unless you are a fan and are following the updates. Then the fateful day hits, the first day of school. Two weeks later, fall TV begins and you start watching or seeing promos for that one show that looks so good that you watch the first episode (even though you have no idea what happened in any of the previous seasons). Then, you find out that there are seven previous seasons and they are all on Netflix. 

Andy Samberg proved how hard binge-watching is at this year’s Emmy Awards (if you haven’t seen his hilarious, yet true, opening musical number, you need to watch it).  You spend hours watching television until you’re gross and exhausted.  However, binge-watching is even more difficult when you have two papers, 200+ pages of reading, and five online quizzes.

I consider myself an expert on the subject, as I scored 500 points higher on my SATs and aced all of my midterms my freshman year of college when I was binge-watching The Office.  I have compiled some tips on how to binge-watch all of the most popular shows while still succeeding in school into the following list:

1.         Reward yourself:

Complete a page in your essay?  Finish 20 pages of reading? Score a 90% or better on a quiz?

Buzzfeed.com

Reward yourself by watching one episode of a sitcom or 30-minute show.  Watch the first half of an hour long show.  Finish an entire essay or 50 pages? “Treat yo self” with a full hour-long episode or 2 episodes of a shorter show.

2.         Plan your breaks.

Plan to work for three hours, and then watch an hour of television.  That way, you can refresh your mind and rest your eyes.  You’ll be more productive if you do not work for ten hours straight.  Schedule all bathroom and food breaks and stick to them.  You will not succeed if you keep telling yourself “ten more minutes” or “just one more episode.”

www.i.ytimg.com

3.         Pick a show in advance.

Know what show you are going to watch before you start your day.  Watch the pilot episode or the first twenty minutes or so in the morning, or watch the first two episodes on a Saturday so that you know you enjoy the show.  Otherwise, you’ll spend all of your time searching through the Netflix categories than watching or studying.

If you need help picking a show, use this link that talks about the Netflix Decision Maker

4.         Build a stash of supplies.

Keep food close by (i.e. under your bed, in your mini fridge, etc.) so that you don’t have to waste time walking or driving to a restaurant or store when you get hungry.  Avoid hot coffee so that it doesn’t get cold and you have to replenish it.  Stick to cold caffeinated beverages, as they last longer and will still help keep you awake.

thechive.files.wordpress.com

5.         Find a private spot.

If you’re feeling ambitious and are watching while reading, you don’t want to have headphones in, as you will become overstimulated and will have to choose between your textbook and your show—you will almost always pick the show if you do this. You can still absorb the material of both the book and the show if the TV is on in the background.

img.allw.mn.com

6.         Use the TV show to your advantage.

I watched The Office during the SAT season, and used Michael Scott’s method of word association to help with vocabulary.  I’m sure How To Get Away With Murder (which I just finished) would be effective to anyone in a pre-law class.  Interested in History Channel or National Geographic documentaries?  Binge-watch these while working on history papers.

The Michael Scott paper-writing method:

pbs.twimg.com

There you go! Get through your Netflix Instant Queue while still acing that random general education class you have no idea why you are taking.

Disclaimer: This method does not work for everyone.  If you get too distracted, wait until a week-long break.  The shows will (most likely) still be there.

I just transferred to UCF, where I'm currently a sophomore.  I'm originally from a small town in Connecticut; no one will know the name even if I write it out.  I am officially (as of about two days from this point) a political science major after trying out various different majors over the past year and a half.  These majors included psychology, accounting, and a brief, two hour period where she identified as a anthropology major for who knows what reason (I despise science almost as much as I despise Tom Cruise and Taylor Swift--I know what you're thinking, what teenage girl hates Tom Cruise?).  While I still don't know what I am going to do in the future, I do have a lot of transferrable skills--a term I learned in my 3 months as an accounting major.  I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do (and if you're shocked, I know, I've heard it from every single person I have ever had a conversation with), a former competitive swimmer, an expert binge-watcher, and an amateur baker/cat whisperer.  I hope to move back to New York one day, but I hate spending money more than I hate the drivers down South.  I spend all of my free time either at work, where people think I'm an animal trainer because of my uniform but I'm actually just a hostess, or in bed watching Disney Channel shows on Netflix.  Along with making a major life decision by choosing a major, I also recently upgraded to ABC comedies on Netflix but only occasionally. 
UCF Contributor