How to Crush Back to School Shopping This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Starting a new school year is exciting! You have a new set of classes and a whole new space to decorate. Don’t let the blank walls in your new apartment or dorm lure you into buying things you don’t really love. Before you blindly rush to buy anything to fill your new space, read these tips!

1. Pre-plan

Make a checklist and see what’s in stock online before you run to the store. Target and Walmart are going to be beyond crowded for all of move-in weekend. Don’t go in without a plan, or you will end up with a handful of notebooks and a laundry bin you hate.

2. Pick a color scheme

Sticking to a color scheme for your dorm or apartment will make it way easier to make decisions about decor. It will also help your family members know what to get you as gifts. Pick two colors you love and work from there. You’ll be way happier with the shower curtain your dad picks out if you can at least tell him to stick to a pink and white color scheme. 

3. Don’t try and get everything at once

It can be tempting to buy a ton of stuff to fill up your room now, but if you don’t really love it in a month you will want to redesign and will be left with an empty wallet. Remember you have all year to settle into your space. Prioritize what needs to be done during your first few weeks and let the rest of your space fill up as you find things over time.

4. Find pieces for free

Ask friends who are moving, check on Facebook, and hit up garage sales. You don’t need to buy everything brand new; your cousin’s old mini fridge will work fine and look great once you clean it up a bit. (At the very least, make sure to check with your roommates before all of you show up with microwaves!)

5. Order online

Don’t try to cram everything you want into your car. Bring things that are too big to carry on your own so your family and friends can help. For smaller items that you don’t need right away, order online and skip long lines. Plenty of sites will ship straight to your dorm which saves you the hassle of going out and the struggle of carrying it all to your building. Just remember to check out the return policy and measure your space before you splurge on a cute couch that won’t fit through your door.

Header: 2, 3

Rachel is a currently a senior at UCF studying English. She is the Director of Marketing and Public Relations for Her Campus UCF. She loves to travel, is obsessed with her dog, and is forever in search of the perfect pink wine. When she is not writing fun articles you can usually find her spending too much money at Target or hiding in a good book. If you want to follow her on social media you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
UCF Contributor