Her Story: At 20 Years Old, I Just Found Out I Have a Brother Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you haven’t read part one, here it is.

I’ve heard a handful of stories since telling mine of similar occurrences, and all I can say is until you experience it, just reading my story is only a fraction of the emotions you will ever feel unless it actually happens to you.

After pacing around the house all day (all week, all month, same thing) anxiously awaiting Larry, the moment was finally here. I tried to put myself in my dad or Larry’s shoes, how they must of felt in that very moment they hugged each other. Overwhelmed? Excited? Speechless? All of the above.

We were all just in awe the day was finally here that we have been talking about for months now. Needless to say, emotions ran high and it was an amazing feeling watching Larry and our dad meet for the first time. Their fun couple of days in the South Florida sun was about to begin! Nothing’s better than being surrounded by awesome family, new experiences, and endless amounts of food. That’s how our weekend with him was spent.

Larry fit in the family and felt so apart of all of us. We took them to the hot spots of South Florida including the beach (obviously), Jupiter’s famous restaurant, Guanabanas, and Cityplace/Clematis Street in West Palm Beach to a rooftop bar. The Michiganders loved every second of the Florida lifestyle many of us FL natives take for granted. Even the smallest of things like our trees and sand! We also did customary family bonding and went bowling and took a family photoshoot since we were given the opportunity of being together.

Along with the site seeing/partying, Larry also got to experience my mom’s Italian Sunday tradition of enormous pasta dinners. My mom cooked five pounds of baked-ziti and four pounds of meatballs! As if the weekend wasn’t already overwhelming enough for them, let’s add an abundance amount of food into the picture! (Just kidding, no one was complaining about that.) They got to try new food and meet family members beyond the four of us. Our dad’s sister and her family came down for dinner, along with my mom’s dad and two siblings, and many of our cousins. Larry has a beautiful, enormous, family to say the least. Our dad is one of eight kids, so teaching him the family tree will take time, and he was being so great with welcoming everyone and taking it all in.

“Taking it all in” was really the theme of the weekend. There would be moments where no one would say anything, but the silence spoke so loud because we were all just thinking the same thing; how life is so unexpectedly great and crazy. In the few short days we spent together, it felt like I have known Larry my entire life. He is most definitely half of me, there’s no doubt about it. We were all comfortable around each other and made every moment together count. He treated my sister and I like he grew up with us, we weren’t afraid to mess with each other and be ourselves. I think that shows a lot about how great of a guy he is. It’s hysterical how much resemblance was between him and our dad, and even my brother Aaron, who unfortunately couldn’t make it to Florida. The resemblance was far beyond their looks, it was even in their mannerisms and taste. Like father, like son…literally.

The timing of meeting each other is perfect as he begins a new chapter in his life that we will always be apart of. I think this experience proves how important it is to be accepting of new people who enter your life, and to be willing to open your arms to the unexpected. Our adventure together is only beginning.

Gabby is a senior advertising and public relations major who loves Taylor Swift, iced coffee, anything that sparkles, and writing. Her favorite fictional character is Jenna Rink from 13 Going on 30, because she plans to be a "big time magazine editor" one day. Gabby is the the president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at UCF and a contributing blogger for the Huffington Post. When she isn't writing (which isn't very often), you'll always find Gabby sitting front row of every UCF football game, at Starbucks, or watching re-runs of "Friends." She's got a fascination with New York City, and aspires to work in digital journalism. Follow Gabby on social media if you're interested in the commentary of an average 20-something, food, and the more-than-occassional selfie. Twitter / Instagram / Pinterest
UCF Contributor