Her Music Saturday: Dua Lipa, Justin Bieber, H.E.R.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As February kicks off, it’s time to reflect on the new music released the last week of January.

‘Physical’ – Dua Lipa

The upbeat tone gives a good poppy feel to this dance-type song. This song talks about lovers that don’t have a typical relationship. It’s very retro and we love it. 

‘Get Me’ – Justin Bieber feat. Kehlani 

JB seemed to get the message that no one was too crazy about his song ‘Yummy,’ because this song is a lot better. It has an R&B tone and talks about a couple’s compatibility, over a kind-of glum beat.

‘Sometimes’ – H.E.R.

First off, the melody is so calming and goes perfeclty with the song. While the song is very slow it talks about how sometimes life doesn’t go how we want it.

‘Tonight’ – Kesha

We’ve gotten used to Kesha’s slow music about her life experiences, but this song brings back the ‘TiK ToK’ Kesha. This song starts off slow, like a ballad, and then picks up the pace. It’s a song to dance to on a girls’ night. 

‘Definitivamente’ – Daddy Yankee & Sech

This song is by far one of my favorites. It’s slow but with a beat behind it which makes it such a great song to dance too. This song is about two exes who don’t even acknowledge each other’s presence. If you want to dedicate a song to an ex, this is the one for them.

‘Hot Tub Time Machine’ – tobi lou

This song has a funky beat to it, but it’s a fun beat. Tobi lou is known for his song “Buff Baby,” which became a TikTok sensation. If you like that song, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this one. 

‘Roses to His Ex’ – Salem

This song’s beat is so good and it’s fun to dance around to. It talks about your current boyfriend’s ex being friends with you, thanking her for making him who he is now. Maybe an anthem to your current ex? 

We hope you love these songs as much as we do!

Maitane is a junior who is majoring in Journalism and double minoring in Political Science/Pre-Law and Sports Business Management. She enjoys watching How I Met Your Mother reruns, finding new music, and going to concerts with her friends. She's a bit of a shopaholic due to her love for fashion. When she's not in class she's either writing her book or watching soccer matches.
UCF Contributor