Her Campus Writer Profile: Crystal Ruiz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Meet Crystal Raquel, a part-time beauty pageant competitor, part-time Her Campus writer and director, and full-time inspiration. We are honored to profile one of our most dedicated and talented writers on the Her Campus team and highlight her involvement outside of Her Campus. As she balances classwork and Her Campus duties, Crystal is also preparing to compete in Miss UCF, the university’s very own annual pageant.

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Minor: Dance

Year: Senior – graduating December 2017

Hometown: Homestead, FL

Role in Her Campus: Social Media Director

Member of Her Campus: since Spring 2016

Lorraine: What made you decide to join Her Campus?

Crystal: I wanted to opportunity to express myself more creatively, and also to start building a more creative portfolio.

L: What’s your favorite Her Campus memory?

C: I wrote an article about my pageant experience and it received great feedback from my friends in the pageant world even from pageant directors. It made me realize how important it is to get your opinions out there and to not be scared about other people’s opinions.

L: So how long have you been competing in beauty pageants? How did you start?

C: I started when I was 12. One of my friends asked me to compete with her, and I got top 30 out of 170 girls my first time. You can say I caught the bug after that!

L: What do you think is the largest misconception people have about beauty pageants?

C: Some people believe that pageant girls just compete for all the glamour, when actually we want to compete to build networking and for scholarships. I have received over $2,000 in scholarship from competing in the Miss America Organization, which has helped me continue my education.

L: How has your experience in pageants shaped who you are today?       

C: I am who I am because of my parents’ support and through pageantry. I used to be a shy young girl, and now I have no problem talking in front of a crowd of over 1,000 people. I have been able to start my own foundation, Crystal’s Care Packages, where I have raised over $15,000 to provide over 300 students with new school uniforms. I wouldn’t have been able to do all this without the confidence pageantry has given me. 

L: What made you decide to enter in Miss UCF?

C: I love this university more than anything. Since my freshman year of high school I knew I wanted to go to UCF. When I found out about Miss UCF, I knew I wanted to compete. Not only for the wonderful scholarship they provide, but I have the opportunity to represent the university for a full year and become more involved.

L: What was that process like?

C: There was an audition in August and the director let you know if you have made it to compete. You had to show your talent and a small interview to audition. Then we started with rehearsals and now we are learning the opening number and preparing for the pageant February 4th.

L: How will Miss UCF be different from other pageants?

C: Miss UCF is only open to UCF students, whereas some pageants you don’t have to live in the town you represent. I believe it’s a lot more meaningful to have the chance to represent the university you go to and become the face for UCF.

L: What are you most looking forward to?

C: I’m looking forward to meeting the judges and talking about my platform and my goals. Also, performing my talent on stage.

L: Most nervous about?

C: The whole day of competition is pretty nerve wrecking, and really fast paced. I get nervous waiting around, but as soon as competition starts I’m ready to go, and it goes by really fast.

Crystal is a talented writer with a passion for helping others, and we’re lucky to have her on the Her Campus staff. Plus, how many student organizations get to say that former Miss Miami-Dade is their Social Media Director? We wish her good luck in her future pageant and career ventures!

Photos provided by Crystal Ruiz.

UCF Contributor