HCUCF Marketing Director: Maddie Hammond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Maddie Hammond is the definition of a unique, talented, and beautiful girl! If you are lucky enough to know her, you know that she can put a smile on anyone’s face and she is truly passionate about everything she does! Her Campus UCF has had the pleasure of having Maddie as our Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director. As Marketing Director, Maddie has been a role model to all of us, and has pushed us to be the best versions of ourselves. She put 200% into her time involved and leading Her Campus, and has left a legacy behind her. She isn’t afraid to say how she feels, and she does so with confidence and grace. Not to mention, she’s one of the coolest and funniest humans you will ever meet. So, without further ado, meet Maddie!

Year? Major?

Hey there! I’m a senior Marketing major!

Hometown?

I grew up in Boca Raton, FL.

When and how did you get involved with Her Campus?

I got involved with Her Campus UCF in Fall 2014, which was my second semester at UCF. I had read Her Campus all through high school, but did not get involved until I transferred to UCF! Soon after getting involved, I was given the amazing opportunity to manage all of Her Campus UCF’s social media, and was later named Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director!

What else are you involved with on campus?

In the past two years, I’ve been the Mr. and Miss UCF Director, a College of Business Student Ambassador, a member of Fashion Society at UCF (I got to host a show!), and very briefly a performer with The Improv Academy.

Describe yourself in 3 words:

Gangly, upbeat, cartoonish.

Where (or what) can we find you doing on the weekends?

If I’m out of the house, I’m probably at Disney or Universal, working and/or playing with my friends. If I’m home, I’m wearing pajamas, sewing and watching Netflix!

Who is your inspiration?

Here is where my wonderfully inspiring group of friends gets a shout-out. They’re political activists, merchandising mavens, performers, writers, artists, and wonderful human beings. They’re changing the world. By being so talented, they push me to be the best person that I can be. You become most like the people that you spend time with, and I’m thankful for their influence.

What’s your spirit animal?

A purple unicorn.

If you had to pick between being a unicorn or living in Halloweentown, which would you choose?

Although my spirit is incredibly unicorn-ish (unicorn-y?), I’d definitely choose to live in Halloweentown, and I’d want to be a witch! A world of fantasy where everyone is so interesting? It sounds like a wonderful place to live!

If you could give your freshman-self advice, what would it be?

Never change who you are to fit in, not even a little bit. There is absolutely no benefit to wasting your life trying to be someone that you’re not in order to please other people. Don’t try to blend in. You will only end up unhappy. You’re weird, and that’s a gift. You will discover how wonderful and magical life can be when you are candidly you. Be yourself and never ever be sorry.

If you were a Disney character, who would you be and why?

It’s so hard to pick one that I identify with most (probably Meg from Hercules if I had to choose), so I designed my own! Picture Maleficent’s animal-loving younger sister who is equally as fierce but knows how to control her temper (most of the time). She’s not a queen, but wears a crown just because she likes how it looks with her purple lipstick. She may or not be seeing Kylo Ren, but it’s nothing serious ;)

*Maddie’s personalized Disney character*

What is your favorite article you’ve written for HCUCF?

Everyone is probably expecting me to say Cyberbullies on Campus: The Real UCF Problem, and it’s worth mentioning. I wrote this article in a massive wave of frustration, and it earned me national recognition and my 15 minutes of fame at UCF (has anyone else had a Twitter war declared upon them? I have!).

But my favorite article to write was Why Leaving My Sorority Was the Best Choice I’ve Ever Made. Writing this one was therapeutic for me, and I felt that it was a story that needed to be told. There is so much content generated by college students about how wonderful/terrible Greek life is, but rarely does someone with an experience like mine come forward to share her story. When I wanted to leave my sorority, I couldn’t find any story like mine, so I hope that my story can help out other students who might be going through what I went through.

What are your plans after graduation?

For now, I am so happy to work in the theme parks, and I plan on continuing with what I’m doing. Although I’m probably a huge disappointment to the College of Business, I know that working indoors and at a desk is not a feasible career move for me right now. I love what I do, and can’t imagine giving it up. Long term, who knows? I’m excited to find out!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I’ll be performing, and I’ll be happy.  That’s all I could ever want.

What is your favorite memory from UCF?

The three days spent in the Pegasus Ballroom were three of the most wonderful days of my life. From helping the contestants through their talent run-throughs to joking around with our production team to operating a confetti cannon at the end of Miss UCF, I was so purely happy. To be a part of one of the university’s longest traditions was an honor, plus I got to dance onstage to Ginuwine’s “Pony” in my unicorn onesie. I had so much fun!

What’s your favorite memory from being the Marketing Director of Her Campus?

As silly and trivial as it might sound, my favorite memory was seeing my name listed as Campus Correspondent on the website homepage! I’ve wanted to be a CC since high school, but for a few years I had put my dream on the back burner. To finally officially achieve that goal was incredibly rewarding!

How do you always want to be remembered?

My goal in life- both personal and professional- is to make people smile. If I am remembered for making those around me laugh and have fun, I’ll be one happy girl.

Her Campus UCF won’t be the same without you, Maddie! We know you’re out to conquer the world one theme park at a time. Never forget how unique and lovely you are.

Gabby is a senior advertising and public relations major who loves Taylor Swift, iced coffee, anything that sparkles, and writing. Her favorite fictional character is Jenna Rink from 13 Going on 30, because she plans to be a "big time magazine editor" one day. Gabby is the the president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at UCF and a contributing blogger for the Huffington Post. When she isn't writing (which isn't very often), you'll always find Gabby sitting front row of every UCF football game, at Starbucks, or watching re-runs of "Friends." She's got a fascination with New York City, and aspires to work in digital journalism. Follow Gabby on social media if you're interested in the commentary of an average 20-something, food, and the more-than-occassional selfie. Twitter / Instagram / Pinterest
UCF Contributor