Have No Fear Freshmen, Five Hidden on Campus Hot Spots Are Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As I approach my third year at UCF, I would say I’m pretty knowledgeable about the Knight Nation’s campus. To all the freshies, you may think you have the hang of campus from going to the RWC, Gringos at 1 AM or the Bounce House… but do you really know the inside scoop? Here are five hidden on-campus hot spots.

Let’s Nike/Nep(tune) It UP – Nike/Neptune Community

Now, if you’re a freshman at UCF, and you live in the Nike/Neptune community?? TAKE. ADVANTAGE. Not only are you living at what I deem the best place to live on campus, but you’re also walking distance from the Recreation & Wellness Center, the leisure pool (I REPEAT, THE LEISURE POOL), and the best homework study spot. Right on the corner of Nike and Neptune dorms are tables with a view AND a live show. Near golden hour, you can hear the marching band practice every single night. If you’re lucky, go take a sunset stroll on Research Parkway — or run, if you’re up for it — and hit the one-mile stop at Tropical Smoothie Cafe. You might just catch the donkey bicycle.

You’re CAPS-ing – CAPS

One of my favorite parts about UCF is our stance on mental health and CAPS, or Counseling and Psychological Services. CAPS offers free counseling services and de-stress events with cats and therapy dogs at the beginning and end of each semester, otherwise known as PAWS and PURRS. COVID may have put these face-to-face events on hold, but when those furry friends come back in person, the “aw”s will be like no other. CAPS is adjacent to the student health center because your health should be evaluated holistically, mentally and physically. It also has the best quiet seating area to maybe journal, paint, people watch, but mainly to clear your mind, relax and take a deep breath.

The way to someone’s heart is through su – student union

Now, there’s a reason the student union is at the heart of campus. They always say the key to someone’s heart is through the stomach, and the SU does not disappoint. With the renovated second-floor Starbucks, classic Huey Magoo’s, and the newest addition of Bento Sushi, what more could a foodie want? Let me tell you — Local Restaurant Row. Every week, a local Orlando restaurant will be inside KnightStop for delicious delights.  *COUGH* Follow my foodstagram @onehangryasian. *COUGH* And afterward? Head to the student ticket center for the best discounted tickets for places like The Wheel at ICON Park, Kennedy Space Center, Universal Studios and more! Or, check out the third floor for Pac-Man, Pool or to play video games at the Game Center.

A, B, C, D, E, F, (G)ARAGE H – Garage H

UCF is notorious for the lack of parking. Now, you can shuttle, but it’s always nice driving past Lake Claire in your own car. Instead of driving to Garage B, head to Garage H. Personally, this is my favorite parking garage — as a realtor would say: location, location, location. Garage H leads a pathway towards the psychology building, memory mall and the Student Union — and the Amazon Hub isn’t too far of a walk either. Garage H is the true cultural hub of skateboarders, roller skaters, sunset see-ers, photoshoots and, as of recently, a concert venue for 6 Days In September and Indigo Children. I followed the music all the way from SU; apparently, the bands enjoy rehearsing together with permit permission. Their next concert will be on October 15 at 7:30 at Parking Garage C. However, Garage H forever remains home for spontaneity and adventure.

A Penny For Your Thoughts? – Reflection Pond

Alas, we have reached the last on our list of hidden hot spots, except this one isn’t so hidden. It’s actually an iconic landmark — home of the ducks and popping champagne bottles for grad pics. But what is hidden isn’t the fountain, but what the reflection pond holds. This means late-night talks with friends, a stroll across campus, picnics at the park, avoiding petitioners and protesters and watching the Spin scooter squad mob around town. And if all that water spraying entices you to go to the bathroom, please don’t use the fountain. Instead, try the dining room ones near the Apollo community — no one’s ever using them. Watch out for the sprinklers though; they show no mercy.

And there you have it: the five hidden hot spots on UCF’s campus. There’s more to us than meets the eye, but one of the best things about being a knight is finding your own hidden hot spots throughout the years.

Anna Tam is a third-year psychology major at the University of Central Florida with a pending minor due to her abundance of eclectic interests. She is originally from the Champa Bay area with future aspirations in teaching abroad, sex psychology, and higher education. When she is not marveling over movies and TV shows, you can find her exploring, working out, or having an existential crisis.