Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Harry Styles: The Next Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

British artist Harry Styles had quite the year in 2021, despite the major setback a lot of artists faced: COVID-19. He was able to safely create an environment where all his fans were able to come together and celebrate his album Fine Line with singing, dancing and most importantly, love. It comes as no surprise that he was able to sell out all 42 shows of the tour. After two months of endless love all over the country from Styles, the Fine Line era is coming to an end, leaving many fans anticipating what’s next.

There have been many clues that his most dedicated fans are dissecting leading up to the release of his third solo album. The title is yet to be known, but fans have gone ahead to nickname it HS3 (Harry Styles Three) The 2021 Grammys introduced the green and black theme that left fans screaming, due to how different it was from the high wasted pants with suspenders he wore for most of the Love on Tour shows.

Throughout Love on Tour, easter eggs were seen in his style and music choices. For night one at Madison Square Garden, Styles was seen rocking an all-black feathered suit designed by Gucci, which was styled similarly to the leather Grammys suit with the green feathered boa. All three nights in Los Angeles connected the pieces of the puzzle with their color palette as well. During night one, he was adorned in a green embroidered vest with matching green velvet pants. During night two, he sparkled on stage with matching all-black sequin dress pants and suspender combination, which was very similar to what we had been seeing all tour. Lastly, he gifted night three with a fully black vest that was shimmering in glitter and was complimented by sage green pants. 

Outfits aren’t the only clue as to what’s to come, song selection is a crucial part of this as well. On this tour Styles chose to mainly sing his own discography, apart from the Harryween setlists. Songs from his self-titled debut album, Harry Styles; as well as his most recent album, Fine Line were performed at all the other shows. The unreleased fan-favorite song, “Medicine,” was featured at only a small handful of the concerts last year. It’s become so popular over the years due to its risqué lyrics, and its rugged sound. “Medicine” checks all the boxes for HS3, from its rock ‘n’ roll style musically, and its stylistic differences shown throughout his custom Gucci outfits seen at some shows. 

While all of this is just speculation amongst his fans, it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to the album and its theme in March of 2022, when it’s supposedly set to be released. No matter what Styles has coming for us next, it’s safe to assume us fans are so excited to see what’s in store. 

Emily is a junior at the University of Central Florida and is working hard towards a degree in journalism with a minor in women and gender studies. She loves to write, explore new opportunities, and share her writing with the community! During her free time she is either listening to Harry Styles or at Universal Studios riding all the rollercoasters!