ryan gosling and margot robbie in barbie movie
Warner Bros
Style > Fashion

FIVE HALLOWEEN 2023 COSTUME PREDICTIONS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

October is just around the corner, and that means one thing: it’s almost Halloween! This is a very exciting time for Gen Z. It’s the one time a year that we are given the freedom to wear whatever we want, no matter how crazy the outfit may be. People spend weeks planning their extravagant costumes. 

Each year costumes tend to reflect current trends. Last year, many people were seen dressed as Batman, Catwoman, a cowboy/cowgirl, Harley Quinn, etc. This may be because the new Batman film was just released last year. So, which costumes are going to be the most seen this year?

1. barbie

This one is the most obvious. This year, I think we will be seeing a lot of Barbie, Ken, and even Alan costumes to portray the new Barbie movie that was released, which was so iconic that it generated over $1.3 billion in profit at the box office. There are several variations of Barbie that people could portray this Halloween, including Retro Barbie, Cowgirl Barbie, and Original Barbie. These costumes require wearing a lot of pink and are very easy to put together. TikTok user Morgan Ann portrays some Barbie costume ideas of her own.

Also, I think a lot of duo costumes will reflect “Barbenheimer.” This is a social phenomenon that started after the release of the “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” movies during the same weekend. I think some couples and friends will dress as Barbie and Robert Oppenheimer to portray this theme. A brown suit with a matching fedora and cigar would be an exceptional Oppenheimer costume.

2. Wednesday Addams

Of course, expect to see a lot of Wednesday Addams costumes based on the Netflix series “Wednesday.” Although “Wednesday” was released last year, it wasn’t released until after Halloween. In other words, this will definitely be the year that people will try to dress as Jenna Ortega in “Wednesday.”

A gothic look is necessary for a Wednesday Addams costume. A lacy black dress worn with a white collared shirt and black stockings, complete with dark makeup and braids, would create a stunning, edgy, and cute fit.

3. Super Mario Bros.

Earlier this year, “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” was released, which was a very nostalgic moment for Gen Z. I would not be surprised if people tried to dress up as the characters from this film for Halloween. The options are infinite, whether you want to be Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, Toad, and many more.

Dressing up as the dynamic Mario and Luigi duo is simple. All that’s needed is overalls, white gloves, a baseball cap, along with either a red or green outfit. A stick-on mustache could even be used to complete the look. Princess Peach is also an easily put-together costume— just throw on a pink dress, crown, and white gloves.

4. olivia rodrigo

With the release of “Guts” this year, we will probably see a lot of Olivia Rodrigo-inspired costumes. Rodrigo is an idol to many Gen Z females, so lots of people will want to dress up as her this Halloween, especially after she released her new album. 

To be Olivia Rodrigo for Halloween, you could copy a look from one of her music videos- the possibilities are endless. TikTok user Zoe Carlow portrays this by copying Rodrigo’s outfit in her song “good 4 u.”

5. clowns and skeletons

Finally, I think we will see a lot of last-minute clown and skeleton costumes, which simply require an all-black outfit and some makeup skills. The better you are at makeup, the better the costume will look!

It is evident that current pop culture trends have a significant effect on the costumes we see during Halloween and this year will be another accurate portrayal of just that.

Isabel White is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. This is her first year as a writer in Her Campus. She loves thrifting, visiting coffee shops, exploring new music, and journaling.