Growing up Multicultural: Where Do I Fit In?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The United States is a melting pot of all kinds of cultures and languages. Because of this, we grow up learning and celebrating multiculturalism and diversity. This country even has dedicated times during the year to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month and Native American History Month, among others. This is great, but do we really celebrate this diversity in our day-to-day lives? I think many multicultural people would disagree. I, for one, have felt more of a divide than inclusivity from both of my cultures. This rejection has caused me to question: where do I fit in this world?

I’m very proud of my ethnic background. My mother is Puerto Rican and my father is Ashkenazi Jewish. I grew up around my Puerto Rican family and identified with that side. I always felt 100% Puerto Rican. I love the music, the food, the language and the island. As for my Jewish side, I love the food and the rich traditions that date back thousands of years. This is what makes me, me!

Love yourself written on wall
Photo by Nicole De Khors from Burst/Shopify
I didn’t have many encounters with Puerto Ricans or Hispanics my age until I entered high school. The school I attended had a high population of Hispanics, which made me excited to dive deeper into my culture. After months of trying to make friends, I realized people didn’t see me as “authentic” because I was born in Miami and only one of my parents was from the island. I was the odd one out. They even made nicknames for me such as “Puerto-Gringa.” All I could do was laugh it off, but I knew it was true. I spoke Spanish and loved every aspect of the culture, but I wasn’t truly Puerto Rican in their eyes. I couldn’t deny that I was born and raised in a different country than them.

When people found out I was half Jewish, I was ridiculed. Kids can be cruel. Peers would make terrible Holocaust jokes just to get a reaction out of me. These jokes might be funny to some, but they’re insensitive. I was learning to love my Jewish side but I couldn’t share it with anyone because I had to avoid the bullying.  

I could’ve decided to isolate myself from these groups, but I didn’t. I was just as much a Puerto Rican as the girl who was born and raised on the island. I was also just as Jewish as the girl who spoke Yiddish and baked challah. Slowly but surely, I was accepted by both cultures because I was persistent in showing just how diverse yet similar we were. This opened a new conversation about subcultures. A culture can have many similarities, but there are still divides in class, gender and beliefs. We can’t try to check boxes off when there’s so much diversity in each community.

Growing up is learning that not everyone will like you or accept you. It’s hard to know that this can happen in your own community. It might be strange, but try to open the conversation of the beauty in cultural diversity to those around you. I’m thankful to my family, friends and teachers that accepted me along the way in this journey. I know I’ll be perceived as “inauthentic” to some because my DNA is split. My place in this world is defined by me embracing who I am and spreading awareness. The DNA results might say I’m 50% Puerto Rican and 50% Jewish, but I’m 100% uniquely me.

Genesis M. is a senior studying advertising and public relations at the University of Central Florida. She dreams to work in PR in the theme park or entertainment industry. When she isn't writing, she can be found baking, singing or dancing (sometimes all at once!) You can follow her on Instagram @genesismargolis to keep up with her next steps.
UCF Contributor