Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

My Grammy Predictions: Who Should Win And Who Will Win

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Music’s biggest night is returning once again on Feb. 5 at 8 p.m. The 65th Annual Grammy Awards will be aired live from Los Angeles where viewers can see their favorite musical artists ranging from Harry Styles to Kendrick Lamar to Kim Petras. If you’re a fan of music, it’s likely that you have once turned on your TV, crossed your fingers, and hoped your top artist would win the category they’re nominated for. Everyone has their opinions on who they believe deserves the titles of Best New Artist, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Album of the Year. Here are my thoughts on who should win and who I think will win in these four categories this year.

Best New Artist

For Best New Artist, the nominees include Anitta, Omar Apollo, DOMi & JD Beck, Muni Long, Samara Joy, Latto, Måneskin, Tobe Nwigwe, Molly Tuttle, and Wet Leg.

Who Should Win: Wet Leg

Why? If you haven’t heard of them, Wet Leg is an indie rock band led by Rhian Teasdale and Hester Chambers. They are soon opening for Harry Styles’ Australian leg of Love on Tour. Their debut album includes very quirky lyrics and ad-libs, which fans loved, which leads me to believe they should win 

Who Will Win: Måneskin

Why? Måneskin is an Italian band that has taken the music industry by storm this year. With their notable covers and flashy outfits, fans and musicians came to adore the band making me think they will win this award. 

Record of the Year

The nominees for Record of the Year are “Don’t Shut Me Down” by Abba, “Easy on Me” by Adele, “BREAK MY SOUL” by Beyoncé, “Good Morning Gorgeous” by Mary J. Blige, “You and Me on the Rock” by Brandi Carlile featuring Ludacris, “Woman” by Doja Cat, “Bad Habit” by Steve Lacy, “The Heart Part 5” by Kendrick Lamar, “About Damn Time” by Lizzo, and “As It Was” by Harry Styles.

Who Should Win: “Bad Habit” by Steve Lacy

Why? This song took over the charts and every social media platform this year. Record of the Year highlights the recording process of the song nominated and I feel as though this song deserves that recognition.

Who Will Win: “Easy on Me” by Adele

Why? Adele can absolutely be called a Grammy favorite. She is bound to win at least one Grammy this award season. It is undeniable that “Easy On Me” is a terrific song, so it could easily win this award. 

Song of the Year

The nominees for Song of the Year include “abcdefu” by GAYLE, “About Damn Time” by Lizzo, “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (The Short Film)” by Taylor Swift, “As It Was” by Harry Styles, “Bad Habit” by Steve Lacy, “BREAK MY SOUL” by Beyoncé, “Easy on Me” by Adele, “GOD DID” by DJ Khaled featuring Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, John Legend, and Fridayy, “The Heart Part 5” by Kendrick Lamar, and “Just Like That” by Bonnie Raitt.

Who Should Win: “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (The Short Film)” by Taylor Swift

Why? Swifties will agree with me on this one. This version of All Too Well has everything a great song needs. Heartfelt lyrics, amazing instrumentals, and on top of all that, it goes on for 10 minutes! I believe The Academy should award her this honor for such a special song.

Who Will Win: “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (The Short Film)” by Taylor Swift

Why? Not only do I believe this song should win, I think it has the greatest chance of winning. The Recording Academy missed their opportunity to recognize anything from the original recording of Red by Swift back in 2012, so they will make it up by awarding Swift for this song.

Album of the Year

And finally, for Album of the Year, the nominees include Voyage by ABBA, 30 by Adele, Un Verano Sin Ti by Bad Bunny, RENAISSANCE by Beyoncé, Good Morning Gorgeous (Deluxe) by Mary J. Blige, In these Silent Days by Brandi Carlile, Music of the Spheres by Coldplay, Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar, Special by Lizzo, and Harry’s House by Harry Styles.

Who Should Win: Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar

Why? Kendrick Lamar is one of the best artists in music today. His comeback album took him to the next level of artistry and he deserves his first Album of the Year award for this masterful album. 

Who Will Win: Special by Lizzo

Why? Lizzo is a fantastic artist. She pours her heart into every project and Special just proved that. The Grammy’s love Lizzo, so between that and her unmatched talent, I think she will receive this award.

Whether or not my predictions end up correct, I will be tuning in for this year’s Grammy Awards to celebrate an amazing year of music.

Franki is a sophomore at UCF majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sports Business Management! When not writing, she can be seen listening to Gracie Abrams, Taylor Swift, or Harry Styles, watching a hockey game, reading a Jane Austen novel, or spending time at a Disney Park!