From ‘Lover’ To ‘Midnights’: A 3-Hour Spectacle That Is Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Seventeen years of music have been crafted into Taylor Swift’s sellout Eras Tour, which first kicked off in Glendale, Arizona, last month. The mastermind of music is playing three shows at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, accomplishing a Super Bowl-level attendance. Around 70,000 Swifties are to fill the stadium from April 13 to 15 nightly, as the city has been honorably coined “Taympa” and Mayor Jane Castor of Tampa has given Taylor the temporary position of Mayor for the historic weekend. Everyone knew you were here for the tour, either from your cowboy boots or glaze of excitement. 

Millions of loyal fans have been waiting for Taylor to tour after the pandemic, a time in which she kept busy by writing and recording. Folklore and Evermore were released during the height of lockdown, followed by “Taylor’s Version” re-releases Fearless (Taylor’s Version) and Red (Taylor’s Version). Each album brings its own distinctive style to the tour and is seamlessly blended into eras.

Fans waited hours in line before the show actually started in order to get their hands on merch from The Eras Tour trucks outside the venue. Many passed the time by making beaded friendship bracelets to trade with other fans, referencing “Make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it” from “You’re On Your Own, Kid”.

The April 13 Tampa show kicked off with powerful performances by openers GAYLE and beabadoobee. The energy in the stadium shifted when a clock appeared on the stage screens counting down until showtime. As a lover of all things visual arts and entertainment, the blend of onstage performance and choreography from Taylor and the dancers was captivating to witness. During an abbreviated version of “Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince”, massive sunset-colored tarps graced the stage and hid Taylor as she rose from below the stage. The screams of 70,000 fans who’ve waited for this moment could be heard from space. My personal favorite albums are Lover and Folklore, so the show certainly started on a great note. There was quite literally not a dull moment since Taylor was glimmering in various custom outfits, such as the opening Atelier Versace bodysuit and an orange two-piece Roberto Cavalli set. 

Female pop artists have the superpower to combine great music with visuals and a beautiful wardrobe. Most notably during “The Last Great American Dynasty”, Bridgerton-esqe dresses worn by dancers pranced around the stage. During the surprise song portion of the night, Taylor played “Speak Now” and “Treacherous” while wearing an ethereal yellow floor-length dress. Fans could sense the moment coming as she dove into the stage, disappearing before a visual of her swimming in the dress appeared on the stage floor. I was in awe of the wristband lights that filled the stadium, worn by each person in the crowd. They corresponded with each song and looked like stars, adding to the magic of the night. 

The 3-hour marathon concert did not have a dull moment and Taylor’s powerhouse performance amazed me with how well she performed for the length of time. The night featured smoke machines, bursts of fire, and skylights. During the final number, “Karma,” multicolor confetti filled the stadium accompanied by fireworks. It was entertainment at its finest. Looking around I saw lifelong fans, couples, hand-crafted costumes, and parents with their children. Everyone came together for the night and felt fully immersed in the experience of live music. The show wrapped up just before midnight and some fans stayed behind to soak in that post-concert energy.

Gianna Aceto is a student at the University of Central Florida majoring in Integrative General Studies with focuses on Entertainment Management and Visual Arts. Her interests include photography, entertainment and writing. The topics she is most passionate about covering are mental health, entertainment and lifestyle.