The Flash: Who is Dr. Wells?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.
Barry Allen isn’t rich. He isn’t a playboy that grew up in a nice mansion. His best friend isn’t male and he happens to be in love with her. Barry Allen is not smooth; he is awkward and has to scramble to explain himself. The common thread between him and other superheroes is an injustice that happened during his youth (and an accident that results in instant super powers). 

A mysterious supernatural force that murders his mother and robs him of his childhood leads to his determination to find answers through science, as an expert in forensic science. While Barry is focused on finding the man who killed his mother and clearing his father, we as the audience are left with a more pressing matter. Who is Dr. Wells?

We tend to see more of Dr. Wells’ true nature at the end of each episode. What has been revealed so far is worrisome! He wants everyone to believe that he is weak and unassuming but his prerogative has always been Barry. It is somewhat clear that he is from the future (I mean how else would he have a hologram of a newspaper dated April 25, 2024 and the advanced thing he does with the walls). Also the creepy way he had a camera set up in Barry’s office and knew exactly when to watch Barry get struck by lightning. Dr. Wells; is he an ally or a foe? 

Dr. Wells aka The Man Who Kills Barry’s Mom.

Think about Barry as a kid during the night of his mother’s death.  How was Barry able to see the water from his fish tank rise? Didn’t that force or energy also originate from the accelerator? The same accelerator that was built ten to fifteen years later by a man with a hidden agenda? The man who killed his mother would have background knowledge about his powers, have the ability to harness it, and create the technology. Dr. Wells would have years of data and understanding of Barry’s powers to draw from. 

Dr. Wells a.k.a Friend From the Future. 

His smug smiles aren’t promising, but he may be who he says he is but from the future. He would know everything about Barry. The many things he has gone through: his beginnings with the accident up to his disappearance. Killing Simon Stagg could resolve some issues or conflicts between him and the Flash in the future.  Or you know Barry from a future beyond the dated newspaper?! 

In last week’s episode, Felicity raised her concerns about Barry’s condition and Wells was adamant about his well-being. “Everything we do at star labs is to protect Barry. Trust me he is in very good hands”. The moment was eerie because of his anger featured later in the episode. I wasn’t sure if I should feel creeped out or actually feel warmth towards Dr. Wells. 

At the moment, clips of his intentions are shown like pieces from a puzzle. The Flash won’t lose its appeal because of the storyline within the story. I won’t stop watching until all of my questions are answered. Why was Barry sent miles away prior to his mother’s death?  Does Mr. Stagg’s death alter Barry’s future? Has Dr. Wells shown up in earlier parts of Barry’s life? What did Cisco have to say about Roonie the night the accelerator exploded?

UCF Contributor