Wellness

How To Battle Consumer Culture While Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s around that time of year, so gather the Lysol wipes and cardboard boxes! Spring cleaning is right around the corner, and for some, it may feel increasingly harder to complete.

During 2022’s spring cleaning session, despite having thoroughly dusted, vacuumed, and swept my room, I still felt as if I was suffocating beneath a mess. Even though I had folded away my clothes and set everything in its assigned spot, my living space felt cluttered. I entered and exited my room and realized the dilemma: I had way too much stuff, a lot of which I didn’t need.

Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Through Closet
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Have you found yourself in the same predicament lately? If so, don’t worry — you’re not alone. Consumer culture has made getting rid of our belongings almost impossible and continues to perpetuate harmful routines of materialism. Here are five tips to actually feel good about your spring cleaning this year, and to avoid getting sucked further into consumer culture.

Limit your consumption

I know — many of us have a bad habit of shopping when we feel sad. But think of it this way: if you buy every cute top you see, you won’t be able to wear all of them because you’ll have too many. When your drawers are overflowing with clothes that you love, getting rid of them will feel agonizing. Buying self-storage units or more storage containers won’t eliminate the problem. Try to set a budget for clothes, instead. I tell myself this: if I buy a new article of clothing, I need to get rid of one.

Ask yourself if you need 10 versions of the same thing

Yes, I’m talking about those perfume bottles, necklaces, rings, hair products, and more. We live in excess. If you have 20 necklaces, and you realize that you only cycle through the same five, loan the others to some good friends, or sell them! You might make someone’s day with a thoughtful gift.

Evaluate your sentimental items

I’m guilty of keeping things purely for sentimental value, but sometimes, they just weigh me down. I used to insist on keeping things from people I’m no longer friends with because those items reminded me of times when we were together. But keeping those things means never forgetting the memories associated with them. And usually, we’ll feel better after forgetting our ex best-friends and boyfriends. Throw that junk away — you might find that your closet and heart will feel lighter.

Donate your things

Friendly reminder that ethical consumerism is literally linked to happiness. Invite your friends over to help with your spring cleaning and ask if any of your unneeded items pique their interest. If not, then you can always donate your clothes to places like Plato’s Closet, H&M, or Goodwill, where they’ll be resold or reused.

Reflect on your mental state

In some cases, a messy room means a messy mind, and consumer culture doesn’t exactly allow for internal reflection. Spring cleaning is the perfect time to assess where you are in life — both mentally and physically. You might find that you’re moving on from a breakup and don’t need that necklace anymore, or that you rely on your belongings for happiness. Once you identify your mental state, clearing your living space will become infinitely easier. Spring cleaning is meant to help, not hurt.

Have fun this year, and declutter both your mind and space.

Raiya Shaw is an undergraduate student at the University of Central Florida pursuing majors in Sociology and English: Creative Writing. She loves performing slam poetry, solving jigsaw puzzles, and consuming large amounts of coffee.