Festival Of Chocolate At The UCF Arena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If your eyes start to get that far-off, dreamy look and that bit of drool is just about to spill over your bottom lip because you’re thinking about chocolate, then there is a festival just for you – and hopefully someone there will have a tissue for you to wipe away that excess saliva. It’s the Festival of Chocolate – The Ultimate All-Chocolate Shopping, Educational and Interactive Experience. Guess what, Lady Knights? It is right in your arena.

This is one of the Top Ten Chocolate Festivals in the United States, so you do not want to miss this. The indulging starts Friday, April 27 and continues on Saturday and Sunday. Advertising an even larger vendor showcase, more interactive activities, and additional live competitions, they are now offering a discounted ticket price exclusive to students on Friday, April 27 with a valid student ID. That means you, UCF.

“We created The Festival of Chocolate to offer something for every type of chocolate lover,” said Aileen Mand, Producer of The Festival of Chocolate. “For the Fashionista Chocoholic, we have the Cocoa Couture Fashion Show on the Yumway; for the Food Network Junkie, we offer chocolate classes and chocolate wine parings; for the inquisitive chocoholic, there is a chocolate museum, and for the adventurous chocoholic, we have make-your-own armpit fudge.  And, don’t forget all the chocolaty treats.”

The best part about it is: You can take the chocolate home with you. The best local chocolate and confection companies are selling everything from truffles to cakes, crepes, cupcakes, cookies, to brownies and gelato. On the unexpected savory side of the chocolate spectrum are the savory items, which will include mocha chili, chocolate BBQ sauce, seasonings, coffee, and meat rubs.

But this festival isn’t just the farmer’s market of chocolate where you can take your pick at their products. On all three days, acclaimed pastry chefs and chocolatiers will host interactive demonstrations to show you techniques and special tricks of their trade. Also, live chocolate competitions will inspire professional competitors to create incredible artistic sculptures out of – you guessed it – chocolate.

The most impressive new addition to the festival, which will surely capture all the chocoholic fashionistas around, is The Cocoa Couture Fashion Show featuring hand-designed garments made almost completely out of chocolate wrappers. Taking place on The Festival of Chocolate Yumway, designers will be judged by professionals and the festival’s guests. That’s some great tasting democracy.

The attractions continue with the chocolate museum, game show, wine and chocolate pairing (unfortunately, exclusive to the 21 and over crowd), and kids’ activities. There really is something for everyone at The Festival of Chocolate. Whether you’re feeling fashionable, competitive, creative, daring, curious, lucky or just hungry, you’ll find something that’ll tingle your taste buds. It may be time for finals, but every hardworking student needs a study break at least once. Why not have a delicious one?

“For an entire weekend, this is your chance to be a kid in a candy store!  You will indulge, learn, play, laugh and be amazed at the versatility of chocolate.  Leave your guilt at the door because chocolate comes from a bean, and that makes it a fruit!” said Mand.

Event schedule:
Friday, April 27, 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday, April 28, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday, April 29, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Advance Ticket prices:
$15 Adults (advance adult ticket purchasers receive 2 complimentary Chocolate Coins to spend in the event and a chance to sit at the Chocolate Judges’ Table)
$9 children (ages 2-12)

At the Door prices:
$17 Adults
$11 Children (ages 2-12)

UCF students get $5 off this price! But this discount is ONLY AVAILABLE ON FRIDAY! Bring your UCF ID!
For more detailed information, check out the official website: http://orlando.festivalofchocolate.com/

Salivating yet? 

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.