Culture > News

A Feminist’s Reaction to the Election Results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Before I get into how the election results made me feel, I want everyone to take a deep breath. The election is finally and completely over. There are no more debates. We won’t have to see any political ads for a few years. If we can all agree on one thing, it’s that 2016 has been a mess, but at least this part of it is over and done with.

I think it’s important to note that the fact that Hillary Clinton came as close as she did to becoming the president is a feminist victory in itself. For the first time in history, a woman was a major party candidate in the general election. This accomplishment is perhaps best symbolized by the scores of voters who left their “I Voted” stickers on the grave of suffragette Susan B. Anthony. We have come so far, but there is so much more work to be done. Feminism needs to become more intersectional, more inclusive. We have a long way to go; unfortunately, I fear that progress will be much slower under future President Donald Trump.

Last night was, without exaggeration, one of the longest of my life. Watching the results roll in started as nerve-wracking, but became absolutely agonizing as the hard reality set in. Even if the election had ended differently, I find it extremely disturbing to see that about half of the country voted for a candidate who, in my opinion, represents divisiveness at its worst. A Clinton win would have comforted me to a great degree, but I believe our country has a long road ahead in terms of facing the issues that divide us. 

Obviously I wish last night had ended differently. This election season has been vitriolic and, in my opinion, destructive. I would be surprised to hear that anyone made it through 2016 without losing at least one friend to differences in political views. As disheartening as that notion is, I think it’s representative of where our country is right now politically; we are more divided than we have been in a very, very long time.

To be frank, I am scared. I’m scared that my reproductive rights will become a target. As someone who suffers from endometriosis, the thought of having to pay for a pill that allows me to avoid debilitating pain every month disgusts me, and the thought of having no access to that pill at all is incomprehensible. That being said, as a white, privileged woman, I stand to lose much less than so many others in this country. I fear for every marginalized community in our country. I’m afraid for the LGBTQ+ community and for the erasure of all the progress they have made over the past several years. More than anything, I’m afraid for my Muslim friends and the very real threat of government-sanctioned Islamophobia.

Where can we go from here? I, personally, will be working to advocate for equality and civil rights at every opportunity that presents itself. If you supported Bernie Sanders during the primaries, I would highly recommend you look into Our Revolution and help keep his movement alive. The 2018 midterms will be here before we know it, and with that comes another opportunity to make your voice heard. Remember, Congress plays an enormous role in our government! Above all, don’t forget how lucky you are to live in a country where you get to vote in the first place.

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!
UCF Contributor