Featuring Humans, Up and Coming Knight Musicians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Music is a talent and experience that many people share, without ever realizing it. There have been an abundance of time as a band student, that I did not even realize I was standing or casually talking to a musician. However, once that similar interest is discovered, music can become one of the deepest things you share.

This is how I felt once connecting with my three friends, Robby, Darren, and Jacob. All three are musicians, who have joined together to gain the ensemble Featuring Humans. As I am undeniably excited for their future as an ensemble and their success, I curious to hear more about their story to Featuring Humans, as well as their influences. Here is the story of local aspiring musicians, looking to spread grand ideals and a good time to all who will listen.

Robby Altman

Tell me about yourself!

Hiya!  I’m Robby Allten, Cinema Studies major at UCF.  Naturally, I love making movies (writing, directing, editing, the whole shebang).  I’ve always I’m one of the most active members of our group Manly Gamedays, directly spearheading the Filmdays section (where we make movies), running the Jamdays events (where we play music), and frequently attending both weekly game nights.  I’ve also been told I’m a pretty loud person, which is probably why I take to music in the first place.

What, or who, influences your musicianship?

Well, in some cases, music.  While I like to think I have a broad taste, I’ve noticed I gravitate to music with very specific traits: wordy, lyric-driven music with distinctly present vocalists that sounds fun on the outside but has a strong message or purpose, usually with a satirical bent (see: Ludo, Bo Burnham, Major Powers & the Lo-Fi Symphony, fun.)  I’m also a pretty big fan of musicals (particularly Hamilton, Les Miserables, anything Sondheim, the basics), probably because I love myself a strong sense of character and narrative.  And, since I was alive in the early 2000s, I grew up on the convergence of alternative rock and pop punk- y’know, All-American Rejects, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, the like.  Oh, and let’s not forget Dream Theater, the band that showed me you’re allowed to have songs over seven minutes (or even twenty- I’m looking at you, Octavarium), or even that form is a lot more malleable than I ever thought.  And Queen.  Definitely Queen.

But there’s much more than music going into my music.  Like I said, I’m fascinated by narrative- I’m going to college for it, after all.  Songs I write tend to have a strong storytelling bend, whether in style or content.  I like my songs to develop- to end in a different place than they begin.  I’ve even outlined songs off of standard film structures to give them a different flow.  I’m fascinated with mixing film’s ability to use fiction to illustrate truth, and how that operates in a medium where literal truth feels like a given.  I also like cross-pollinating between genres and even mediums to give my work some flavor.

To be honest, some of the most musical inspiration I get musically come from Darren and Jacob.  Knowing them for several years now, seeing how their minds tick, talking to them about music, and watching how it translates to their work has been invaluable.  It also helps that they’re both brilliant.

As for my percussion- I used to play drums, now I try to replicate it on a box.  Half the time I just follow whatever Darren’s doing, but louder and with more fills.             

How did “Featuring Humans” come to be?

My freshman year at UCF, Jacob and I were random roommates, and we quickly became best friends.  He was a phenomenal guitar player who had practiced several hours a day for years and basically topped his class, while I had several years of experience with Rock Band drums (and dabbling in a real kit over a year).  So it was an obvious match.  We constantly showed each other whatever we did creatively, and even played in my garage over our first summer.  When sophomore year came, we decided to recruit a bassist.  Darren was a good friend of ours who we really liked hanging out with, and we had happened to see was a great bass player.  Plus, he had an outstanding afro.  So we got together and started jamming and writing music for while-  very fun, low-stress, low-key.       

What do you see in the future of “Featuring Humans” ?

Hopefully?  As far as we can take it!  I love these guys, and want to continue playing music with them as long as I conceivably can.  If we can make a living off of it, great!  If not, it’ll continue to be a passionate side project where we get to exert our creative energy.  I would love to see us play more and more shows to more and more people- we’re really proud of our work, and are super excited to share it with as many people as we can!   

When/where can we see you, and get updates on your future performances?

Your best bet is find us on Facebook (facebook.com/featuringhumans).  Our next performance is a full set at Natura Coffee & Tea on University Blvd on Tuesday, March 7th at 9 pm.  You can also contact us at featuringhumans@gmail.com to get more info, or just say hi!  We’d love to hear from you!    

Darren Reynolds

Tell me about yourself

I am currently a student at UCF who studies Mathematics and has a minor in Computer Science. I work as a tutor to student athletes at UCF and as a mathematics instructor at the Mathnasium at Lake Nona. During my down time, whenever music isn’t on the mind, I run, take yoga classes at UCF watch Let’s Players on Youtube, and do research in mathematical modeling.

Growing up I have kept music as a serious hobby. I took piano lessons in grade school, played tuba in middle school band, and picked up guitar and bass during high school. A lot of my musical growth happened during high school as I learned guitar and bass on my own and developed my musical ear by playing along to songs on my iPod and Youtube.

My grandfather, Dale Duane Reynolds Sr., is my biggest musical influence before Featuring Humans. A musician himself, he played in tuba in high school band, played guitar in a band called the Fugitives in 1958, picked up guitarrón in 1965 and played in Mariachi bands throughout his life in Arizona, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Florida, and played innumerable shows and gigs as an awesome bassist. He taught me how to play my first stringed instrument, the vihuela, (which is a small Mariachi rhythm guitar) which lead me to play guitar and bass.

He has an affinity to older blues, rock, Mariachi, and Latin music which has strongly influence my musical taste.

He suffered a stroke in the Fall of 2009 and much of his former self, including his ability and aptitude to play, is now gone. He means so much to me and it actually pains me that he cannot enjoy that aspect of his life any more. I make it a point to visit him when I go home to the Pensacola area and play for him my band’s songs, songs I enjoy playing, and songs he enjoys and used to play along to. I also listen to the stories of him as he played music all his life. He repeats many of them now but I truly appreciate the time I do get to spend with him as it won’t last forever.

How did “Featuring Humans” come to be?

In the Spring of 2013, several of my friends got together in a parking garage to jam out and make some noise. Jamming out in this context lead me to meet Jacob and Robby in a musical setting. It was such a rush and I enjoyed playing with them that evening. Definitely one I will not forget anytime soon. We continued to play in jam settings with the same group for about another year until we were in Orlando together one summer where we started to meet up and work on songs in a three-piece setting. We continued to practice and play together regularly for another two years while showing our songs off in the jam days setting. We donned the name Blindman’s Bluff for a bit to have a name and the we finally decided to name ourselves Featuring Humans and started to play at other venues in the beginning of 2017.

What do you see in the future of “Featuring Humans?”

Immediately, I see Featuring Humans playing as many shows as their schedule allows to find their audience, get exposure, and to enjoy the intimate crowds of humble beginnings. As a later state, I see us making demos, Eps, and LPs to share our music online and with people who see us live. After that it becomes touring the Central Florida area.

You can like our Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/featuringhumans/) where we post videos, pictures, and our schedule for upcoming shows.

Jacob Young

Tell me about yourself!

I’m Jacob Young I sing, play guitar, and write cool music for Featuring Humans! I also work full time as a supervisor at CSS. Other than that I like playing games, and talking about creative/artsy/stupid stuff with my friends!

What inspires your musicianship?

Well there are the bands (Screaming Females, Queen, Modern Baseball, Minute Men) that I probably listen to the most, and have stolen countless things from. But undoubtable the biggest influence on my musicianship is the people who I’ve played, jammed and written songs with. Along with the amazing Trey Brewer, who is one of my favorite people in existence. Without him I may have never touched my instrument. He was the teacher of the classical guitar program in St. Augustine High School. Where I met lots of crazy talented and wonderful people!

During this time, I also got to play in some bands. None of them were very good, but they were tons of fun! I learned how to improvise and jam, how to keep to a schedule, how to write songs for/in a group. My main writing partner was my best friend Malachi. We would hang out write songs together, then get distracted and play video games, then write more songs. Honestly those are some of my favorite memories I have in my life, and I can’t overstate how much I appreciate those experiences. Other than that my biggest influence is probably my current band. Hanging out play and talking about music, has pushed me to the point where I consistently can write songs I actually like! Which super exciting!

How did “Featuring Humans come to be?”

I met Robby because a UCF computer decided us living together would be a good idea (it was). Then we met Darren because our beautifully talented friend Robert Lee Martin the 3rd, decided it would be a good idea to have a jam in UCF parking garage (it was).  Eventually me Robby and Darren started jamming and writing together, and recently we’ve started playing some super fun shows in the central Florida area.

What do you see in the future of “Featuring Humans?

Ideally I get to continue playing with 2 of my best friends, writing and playing music we all think is super cool for the rest of my life. But for now we’re just looking for shows, and playing songs!

Check us out at Facebook.com/featuringhumans

(Main photo taken by writer, other photos taken from Group’s Facebook Page)

Natalia is a proud latina, and a Senior at the University of Central Florida. Majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies, with a double minor in Mass Communication and Mass Collective and Culture Behavior, she hopes to eternally study the World for all its' features. An old soul and a child at heart, some of her favorite things include flowers, her 3DS, cheap paperbacks, 80's sitcoms, drag queens, and nifty scarves. Always practicing mindfulness and balance, Natalia dreams of a picturesque beach, with no clouds in the sky and a perfected Spotify playlist. Keep on Keepin' on. 
UCF Contributor