Fall In Love With Floral

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The Visual Arts building at UCF is always brimming with interestingly dressed people. Maybe it’s the all the creativity in the air or just a way for them express their imagination on another type of canvas; either way the VA building is an awesome place to spot great fashion. After just finding out that my class had been canceled I was just about to leave when I spied Biology major Miriam Burrow strolling down the second floor hallway looking at the figure drawings hung up on the wall. The individuality that her personal style showcases and amazing curly hair made me think that my canceled class was a blessing in disguise!

Miriam’s sleeveless floral mini shift dress was a thrifted find and a great one at that. It’s a dress that is a year round piece especially the navy color, a popular shade for fall 2013. Though it was not too cold that day she told me that she later planned to pair the dress with a long-sleeve button down throughout the rest of the winter. Being able to rework your pieces is something every good fashionista can do. 

Her combat boots are a staple to any gal’s winter wardrobe but her taupe colored ones were a refreshing change from the normal black or brown ones that I normally see around.

The art minor showcased her artistic side with an incredible piece of hair jewelry. The muli-tiered hair chain was something you didn’t expect to see at 9 am on a weekday, but when I did I could not think of anytime not to wear it with.

Eyewear now comes in so many different colors and styles. Miriam decided to match her eyewear to her dress by donning a pair of electric blue reading glasses. Weather their prescription or not, glasses can add character to an outfit and make you look like you know what you’re doing (even if you don’t).  

Get this look:

Dress: Miriam’s dress was a vintage thrift find but if you can’t find what you are looking for at the local thrift stores in the area the online marketplace Etsy can be a great option for vintage clothing. Prices range from expensive to cheap but it’s easy to find clothing for relatively decent prices such as this dress.

Boots: Combat boots have become the ‘it’ boot for all year round. Instead of the typical darker color styles instead try a lighter toned option like these taupe colored pair from Forever 21

Glasses: Whether you need them or not, a fun pair of colored frames that won’t break the bank are a great addition to your wardrobe. This pair from online fashion retailer GoJane has a fun faux wood frame along with their bright color.

Hair Piece: Etsy is also a great place to find beautiful handcrafted goods. A quick search can bring you to the stores of hundreds talented jewelry and accessories designers. I found this simple but elegant hair chain from hair accessories designer GoldenBirthday for a very reasonable price.