Every Thing I Need To Know I Learned From HBO’s Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you haven’t seen HBO’s television show, Girls, you’re seriously missing out. Creator, writer, and star of the series, Lena Dunham, is basically a genius; as a film student I can honestly say she is truly inspirational. Also, the rest of the cast, including but not limited to characters Marnie, Jessa, Shoshanna, Adam, Ray and Elijah, are all uniquely and hilariously wonderful. This show couples sarcasm with relatable true life issues; in a sense, it could be looked at as a more realistic and younger version of Sex and the City. It embodies the essence of life in the real world, sucky break ups, BFF bickering, and across the board breakups. Every episode teaches me some thing new, so here are a few lessons I want to pass on to each of you.

First off, bras are totally unnecessary, and ultimately just hold you back. And if some one does question your lack of a bra, simply reply:

No matter how often you call and ask for money, you could always be a bigger headache to your parents than you already are.

If you ever accidentally smoke crack, be calm and find a close friend, i.e., your crack spirit guide. Seriously, it could happen.

You can get yourself through any break up, no matter how hard it may seem at first.

Some times it’s okay to have a little gossip between friends about who did what.where. and with whom.

And on that note, don’t ever feel embarrassed about last night’s actions, because there is always some one who had a worse night than you.

If your friends are being party poopers, make it a party of one. You’re probably more fun to be around any ways.

And your gay best friend will most likely always be more fabulous than you, sorry.

Every person has their own dreams and desires, so don’t ever knock someone’s aspirations.

Relationships can be a total drag. End of story.

Having a job can also be a total drag.

But, sometimes you have to be honest with yourself when you really just need to get your sh*t together.

Because honestly, life can get tough, and it’s completely okay to give yourself a pep talk.

Flirting can be really hard, but you’ve just got to work with what you’ve got.

Because some times flirting can help you to find some one who makes you feel differently.

And lastly, if this quote describes you and your best friend’s relationship, you’ve got one hell of a friendship: 

“I love you so much. I hate everyone that isn’t you.” – Hannah

UCF Contributor