Enter the Magic with Disney’s ‘The Imagineering Story’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With the arrival of Disney+ comes a wave of nostalgia from shows like That’s So Raven (it’s the future I can see…) all the way to our favorite cult classic movies such as the infamous Smart House. There’s one gem on Disney+ by the name of The Imagineering Story that has captured my heart and the essence of Disney in a docu-series. Here are three reasons why this amazing documentary has me waiting every Friday for a new episode!

Behind the Scenes Look 

As a Disney enthusiast, I’ve always been fascinated with the inner workings of the attractions and shows. The Imagineering Story beautifully tells how some of my favorite attractions came to life with the help of the Imagineering division. Magic Kingdom’s “It’s a Small World,” for example, was a concept that Walt had created for the World’s Fair, and it was meant to be an inclusive ride that brought together the cultures of the world. Even more fascinating are the intricate color patterns and combinations that Mary Blair created to develop this beloved ride!

History 

Oftentimes, I forget how long and far Disney’s presence has spanned. It’s so easy for me to get lost in all the joyful memories that flash before my eyes as I hop from one park to the next. I forget that Disney as a company has gone through a fair deal of complications and successes. The docu-series does an amazing job of outlining the birth of Walt Disney’s dream, with a timeline weaving through the expansion of parks, innovative concepts and creative ideas, and the restructuring of organizational hierarchy and global expansion in the best way that Disney can: by telling a story. It also brings to life the efforts of the Imagineering division and shows how integral teamwork and imagination are to this diverse team!

Appreciation

Walking through Disney, one of the most pressing questions I always have wondered is how its all done. How are the pieces of this experience made, how are they put together, and how is it executed? This docu-series answers all of the questions I have regarding the creative process, all the way through to how Disney executes stories through their attractions. I never truly realized the budget and the amount of time and effort it takes to turn a dream as big as Disney into a reality, not only in one place but globally!

If you’re as big of a Disney fan as I am, then take some time to curl up on the couch and enjoy the wonders of Disney. Next time you walk through Epcot, chow down on a Mickey-shaped pretzel or wear your favorite Minnie ears (the donut ones!), you’ll have a greater appreciation for all the magic and love that goes into making your experiences as special as they are!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Manisha is currently a student at the University of Central Florida studying finance. She loves all things sweet and artsy. If she's not stuffing her face with the colorful ice cream or drawing pictures of her cat, then she's probably reading all things astrology or singing her heart away to all of her favorite R&B artists. Her dream is to be a CEO and have her own beauty brand focusing on natural, clean products that will transform the beauty industry!
UCF Contributor