Style

Emmy Awards 2019: Purple Carpet Fashion Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The red carpet at an award show is possibly the most important part of the night. Not only do the nominees and presenters show off the looks they have been preparing for months, but they also have interviews and share their thoughts on the night. 

Fashion is an interesting realm and sometimes there are the looks that take your breath away and others that… well, take your breath away. 

Zendaya – Vera Wang

As I was watching the live stream of the purple carpet arrivals, I actually gasped at the moment that Zendaya came out of her car. The actress wore a gorgeous custom Vera Wang gown with not a thigh-high slit, but a hip-high one. And continuing to rock her red hair truly made the look a stunner. 

Rachel Brosnahan – Elie Saab

The star of Amazon’s hit series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Rachel Brosnahan, arrived in a sapphire blue sequined Elie Saab gown fresh off the runway. Brosnahan typically goes for natural makeup looks, but last night she went bold with blue eyeshadow and the ultimate party ponytail. 

Naomi Watts – Dior

Dior has been killing the fashion game recently with their chunky belts paired with voluptuous tulle skirts—very Carrie Bradshaw. Naomi Watts was a presenter for the evening and wore an all-black gothic Dior gown. 

Regina King – Jason Wu

Oh, Regina. She rocked a fabulous Tiffany blue floor-length gown by none other than Jason Wu. Wu has been known to dress the one and only Her Royal Highness, Meghan Markle. Regina King was nominated for her work on American Prime, but definitely won the best-dressed award for this year’s purple carpet. 

Now, every year, there’s typically a theme to the trends that celebrities decide to wear. Sometimes it’s a style, other times it’s a designer. This year—unfortunately for all those involved—pairing red and pink was the trend. 

Mandy Moore – Brandon Maxwell

Mandy Moore, nominated for her work in This is Us, wore a Brandon Maxwell design that pulled off the red and pink color blocking.  

Susan Kelechi Watson – Badgley Mischka

Moore’s This is Us co-star, Susan Kelechi Watson, sported a Badgley Mischka gown extremely similar to Moore’s Maxwell look, also featuring the red and pink trend. Watson’s combination of the slicked back updo with red and pink statement earrings definitely made her stand out on the carpet. 

Taraji P. Henson – Vera WangTaraji P. Henson typically SLAYS almost every red carpet she attends. However, at this year’s Emmy Awards, her color blocking Vera Wang piece was not her best look. If the lining of the skirt was continued down the entire bottom rather than stopping at the knees, perhaps it could have been pulled off. 

With all the looks that showed up on this year’s Emmy Awards purple carpet, all the fashion lovers are happy to have award shows back on our radar. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Nicole is currently a junior at UCF working towards a B.A. in Human Communication. Besides writing articles and managing the Her Campus social media, Nicole loves to practice violin, watch an unhealthy amount of La La Land or organize her Vogue magazine collection. One day she hopes to attend the Met Ball, the Oscars and Paris Fashion Week. A few of her favorite things are, fresh flowers, foamy cappucinos, writing in her planner with cute pens and Christmas time. 
UCF Contributor