Eat, Drink, and Be Scary: The Pinterest Snack Halloween Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s safe to say almost everyone’s mood shifts from regular mode to “HOLIDAY MODE” pretty quickly once September is coming to a near end. Fall semester in college smells like ambition, stress, football, stress, sleepless nights, coffee, excitement, and stress. But behind all that stress we are all giddy at the fact that the weather is changing and so are the decoration displays at the store! Halloween is a major part of fall, it’s the start of festivities we’ve come to love: eating plentiful candy whenever and whatever you want because there is the “It’s Halloween, duh” excuse. These festivities also include being able to finally release your pumpkin spice yearn like the rest of us (not all of us, just the PSL freaks), and most importantly, finally getting to make/buy the costume you’ve been thinking about since last Halloween, and the parties.

Parties are a common thing at a university- almost as common as spending sleepless nights at the library studying. There are so many variations of parties, so if you’re a host you know how we collegiate students are…if there’s food…we’re in. With that being said, easy, cheap and DIY snacks are the way to go. (Oh yes you can actually use Pinterest for something now, other than making boards of your “dream house” and “things to do in the next 5 years”). Being on a college budget and trying to responsibly save or spend your money is still part of the hardest things you’ll have to do, so if some ingredients don’t fit the budget, improvise! Or have a potluck with friends, everyone understands the college money hustle and bustle. 

“Getty” or Small Get together- Whatever this means to you

If you tell your friends you’re having a small get together or party that can consist of board games, drinks, snacks, and cookies. If you’re watching a scary flick or any of the classic Halloween movies (Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown in my personal opinion) snacks are a necessity, which means… time to brainstorm some ideas:

1. Halloween Snack Mix

TV watcher or not, the “Chex Mix” commercials seem to be as if they’re a nationally known “thing” ; the common commercial of putting a bland chip bag over the Chex Mix bag because its so deviously good that you don’t want to share…exactly why you should make your own with a twist. This snack will make your small get together a hit, time to make your friends love you even more!

Ingredients:

Produce

• 1 bag of Caramel Corn
  • 1 jar of Peanuts, lightly salted

Snacks

• 1 bag of Pretzels, Tiny Twists

Desserts

• 1 bag of Candy corn
  • 1 Large bag of Milk chocolate M&M’s

Other

• 1 bag Original Bugles

2. Dip, Dip, and more Dip

This one isn’t easy on the eyes but after all, it is Halloween so it’s perfect! Chips and dip will never be a thing of the past, they are on the edge of danger because once you start eating this wonderful mix, it’s hard to stop. That’s why you need to create some spookiful dip & chip mix that will make your tastebuds dance.

Ingredients: If you want to get creative, get a small pumpkin carving (fun and creative) like this one and buy some guac, salsa, anything to match up with your spare dorm snack crackers, or your fancy upper level Ritz and you have a masterpiece.

3. Witch’s Potion

Sounds scary, but tastes yummy. Honestly, I’ve never tried this myself but it looks delicious and creepy-crawly enough for Halloween. This drink can come in two variations, the alcoholic or non-alcoholic, so depending on what you want you can do whichever!

Ingredients:

Produce

• 1 (2 liter) bottlechilled of lemon-lime flavored soda or

Drinks

• 3 cups of Pineapple juice

Desserts

• 1 (6 ounce) package Lime Gelatin

Beer, Wine & Liquor (If wanted)

• 2 cups of Vodka

Liquids

• 2 cups of Water

Halloween Night In

Like many of us, college professors stop for no one…some don’t even yield classes for Spirit Splash * gasp * making it extremely understandable if it’s impossible or not responsible to go on on Halloween. Especially since it falls on Monday this year, exams are important and so are snacks. In the case of not being able to go out but still wanting to be part of the Halloween fun if you live in off-campus housing or you’re back at home and are expecting Trick or Treaters’, here are some snacks for the both of you ghostly’s. 

1. Pretzel Broomsticks

These creative bunches are perfect to snack on and healthy enough to give kids, if you can afford to, add the pencil! Go for it, and if not baggies with snacks and Halloween bows are always enough for eager children.

Ingredients:

• Stick Pretzels (mini’s)

Other

• Clear plastic baggies
  • Pencils

2. Mandarin Pumpkins

In other words, the cutest, yes I said it, cutest Halloween snack yet. It’s nice if you’re on a budget because you don’t have to give them all away and you can save them for snacks while studying or going back to class the next day. If you’re willing to give away that batch, kids will be so happy and so will you because mini Mandarin’s are grave-ly delicious. 

Ingredients:

• Mini Mandirins

Other: 

• Sharpie
  • Creativity
  • Some form of art Jack- O-Lantern skilll

3. Ghostly Lollipops

DIY’s are fun because you can create something with your own hands and step back and appreciate greatness and spook-tacular creations.

Supplies:

• Tissue Paper 
  • Mini rubber bands (You could use twist ties, zip ties, string or pipe cleaners in a pinch)
  • Googly eyes (or a marker for eyes)

Optional: String around neck

Freaky and Fun the Healthy way

If you’re on a diet for any reason, or trying to have the summer body to let it go right before Thanksgiving, more power to you. It’s difficult trying to balance it all. Not even dieting, if you love fruits or anything healthy as a snack, it’s always better than the actual junk food snacks- even though they’re addicting, here’s to you!

1. Healthy Cady Corn

Say whaaaaat? Yes an alternative to the classic candy of the season! Something to still use your Halloween idea, just the healthy way. It’s simple and nutritious and even better, delicious!

Ingredients:

• 2 (15 ounce) cans of Mandarin oranges
  • Cups fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 3 to 4 TBSP of powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • Candy Corn for decorating

2. Anything covered apple slices: Apple Bar 

Candy apples feel so mystical and hauntingly snack-worthy because of their fang-tastic taste and look. For a small budget, all you really need is one apple to cut multiple slices and match them up with the chocolate or caramel (or anything really of your taste).

Ingredients:

• Selection of sweet red apples and tart green apples
  • Chocolate fudge sauce
  • Caramel sauce
  • Peanut Butter candy

3. Halloween Yogurt Bark 

It may not be the infamous peppermint bark, but it looks just as good, with a side of healthy! This is a funny and simple task that can relax you and fulfill your sweet needs!

Ingredients:

• 4 (5.3oz) cartons of nondairy yogurt (preferably orange-colored)
  • 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil (optional)
  • ¼ c. of blueberries
  • 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
  • ½ yellow nectarine
  • Monster googly eyes

There are many Halloween occasions to use all sorts of cute cost-friendly snacks! There’s always room for creativity and wicked ideas with food, drinks, and decorations! If you’re feeling lost and need some brain food, make your own!

All links to webpages for further instruction, credentials, and more ideas:

Images: 123,456789

Alexa, otherwise known as "Alexa Wexa" is a senior Psychology major pursuing a minor in Public Relations and Communications. As the Co-Event Director of HCUCF she loves creating and planning events for the wonderful writers on the team. In pursuit of making time last, you can find her at Disney or driving around Orlando for the best food, coffee, and photo ops.
UCF Contributor