Tea people
Tea people
Unsplash / Jason Leung

East Orlando Boba Joints You Need To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you haven’t heard of bubble tea by now, you might be living under a rock! While the practice of putting tapioca pearls into beverages was invented in Taiwan back in the 1980s, bubble tea, commonly known as “boba,” has only more recently gained traction globally. Since the turn of the century, bubble tea outlets have started popping up all around the world as more and more business owners join in on the craze. With Orlando being the foodie capital of Florida, it’s no surprise that our boba scene is constantly growing, too! 

If you’ve been wanting to discover places to try some new teas without spending too much time and gas, look no further!

Whether you’re new to boba or a seasoned fanatic, I’ve compiled a list of bubble tea cafes within a reasonable distance of UCF’s main campus for all your tapioca-chewing, tea-slurping needs! If you’re a student or an East-Orlando local, I’m sure there’s something here for you. In no particular order, I’ve included some of my favorite boba tea joints as well as my personal ratings (from “pretty darn good” to “god-tier”), some drinks I recommend, and the approximate distance of each spot from main campus. 

Krave Tea

Personal assessment: God-tier

I recommend: The Thinker

Distance from campus: 11 miles; approximately a 25-minute drive

This small business is a recent hit in the Winter Park area! Krave Tea is home to some of your favorite classic milk teas, as well as some unique flavors you might not find elsewhere like Black Sugar Boba and Fresh Milk, as well as their beautiful Butterfly Flower drinks. Krave has a clean, classy atmosphere and puts a lot of emphasis on presentation to create teas that are so Insta-worthy you won’t be able to resist giving them a try!

Sno Tea Caffè

Personal assessment: *chef’s kiss*

I recommend: Jasmine Milk Tea

Distance from campus: 1 mile; 3 to 5-minute drive

Next up is another small business (which is always a plus), right across the street from campus! Sno Tea is a Taiwanese bubble tea and dessert caffé. It’s located near a plethora of restaurants, making it the perfect place to stop for sweets and tea after a meal. They also have a selection of their own entrees and appetizers in addition to desserts! I love to sit here and study with a cup of boba or some shaved snow.

Kung Fu Tea

Personal assessment: Pretty darn good

I recommend: Rose Hip Milk Tea

Distance from campus: 1 mile; 5-minute drive

This is one of my favorite boba chains. They have a large menu with everything from milk teas to slushies, and the toppings are just as varied as the drinks! If you don’t go in knowing what you want, it can take a solid bit to make a decision. Kung Fu isn’t the best place to sit and chill, with a simple interior and limited seating, but if you want to grab a drink to-go, you won’t be disappointed. Service is fast and the teas are always good!

Royal Tea

Personal assessment: God-tier

I recommend: Peach Oolong or Rose Pu-er (with cheese mouse)

Distance from campus: 15 miles; about a 20-minute drive

This trendy boba spot always has a line that goes out the door (sometimes even around the corner), and for good reason! Despite the heavy traffic, Royal Tea never keeps you waiting for too long and serves delicious drinks. They maintain a small menu full of original items that bring customers back again and again. The décor is simple and classy, but the crowds often make it a pick-up-and-go sort of place, rather than a hangout spot.

Chewy Boba Company

Personal assessment: Pretty darn good

I recommend: Papaya Milk Tea and Tarocado Smoothie

Distance from campus: 1.5 miles; 5-minute drive

If you’ve been in Orlando for long, chances are you’ve seen at least one of these around. UCF has one right across the street on the North side of campus, which makes it a great spot for students. They’ve got a pretty big menu, with just about as many different teas as you can think of, as well as some snacks like mochi ice cream and macarons. Chewy consistently provides good teas and fast service, and the interior design is just charming with its preppy, ’90s arcade vibes! It’s definitely a great place to swing by after classes.

Shaka Shaka Tea House

Personal assessment: *chef’s kiss*

I recommend: Peach Mango Smoothie

Distance from campus: 5.6 miles; about a 13-minute drive

If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, I highly recommend Shaka Shaka! They serve tea as well as a plethora of delicious, fresh fruit smoothies you can customize with all the usual toppings! The spring-green décor gives Shaka Shaka a bright and cheery vibe, and their drinks are both healthy and so tasty. They are currently taking orders at the door due to COVID, but under normal circumstances, there’s plenty of seating for all your study-time needs.

ViVi Bubble Tea

Personal assessment: *chef’s kiss*

I recommend: Flaming Brown Sugar Milk

Distance from campus: 15 miles; approximately 25 minutes

ViVi is a cute boba tea chain with a very broad selection of drinks and lots of pink. There are locations around the country, but so far this is the only Florida-based franchise! It’s got an adorable, fairy-like atmosphere with some seating areas and wall murals for all your Instagram photoshoot pleasures. It’s another one of those places where picking a drink is so hard, but chances are, no matter what you choose will be super tasty!

Ice and Bites

Personal assessment: Pretty darn good

I recommend: Princess Peach Tea

Distance from campus: 1.3 miles; 5-minute drive

Right off University Boulevard, Ice and Bites is a great spot to go for boba or some colorful desserts like Taiyaki with ice cream and cotton candy! They’ve got a menu that’s decent-sized but not big enough to be overwhelming, and you can also find some tasty appetizers if the sweet stuff isn’t up your lane. They have a little photo op set up, and (in absentia of COVID) often host K-Pop events, parties and other socials.

Quickly Boba Cafe

Personal assessment: Pretty darn good

I recommend: Vanilla Chai

Distance from campus: 2.7 miles; 8 to 10-minute drive

Quickly is one of the most spacious bubble tea cafes on this list and has enough seating to make it a pretty good place to sit and study. The menu is simple and easy to follow, with a combination of fruit and milk teas as well as some fun “premium” options. Orange accents make the atmosphere feel warm and comfy, and there’s always lots of cool artwork displayed on the walls. Next time you’re getting takeout from Viet-Nomz or King Bao, consider stopping by!

So, if you’ve been on the fence about trying bubble teas or you’ve been looking for a new boba spot, I hope this list provides a range of places for you to explore with friends! 

Kate Porch graduated the University of Central Florida in December 2020 with a bachelor's in creative writing and an education minor. She spends her free time collecting hobbies, and her most notable personality traits are crying over Studio Ghibli movies and buying more books than she has time to read. Kate loves traveling, learning new languages, and pretending to be a mermaid in the local Florida springs.
UCF Contributor