Doug Jones Just Won the Alabama Senate Race. Here’s What This Means for Women.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Sitting on my sofa, I’m seeing the votes roll in and CNN reporting the projected numbers for each county in Alabama. The people of Alabama finally went to the polls today to vote in the special senate election to replace Jeff Sessions. The race is between two candidates, Roy Moore and Doug Jones. Moore is a Republican and has had several women come forward and accuse him of being sexually inappropriate and, in some cases, molesting them. Moore was even banned from his local mall because that’s where he would go to talk to young women.

Simply put, Moore used his power to assault women and then wielded that same power to keep them quiet or discredit their claims. Historically within the power structures of Alabama, and this country as a whole, the word from a powerful male was much more powerful than the word of young women.

Roy Moore was accused of sexual misconduct several times during the Alabama Senate race. 

However, the Alabama voters came to a consensus that they would no longer stand for men abusing their power and have this be their way of life: they rejected Moore and elected Doug Jones, a Democrat.

This election is proof that victims of sexual assault are being heard, they are being validated, and for the first time ever, direct action is taking place as a result of their accusations. This is proof that there are no more places in America where a man can have unchecked power while women are belittled and gaslighted for coming forward and speaking about their assault. Even in the deep South, the people came together to vote for justice, morality, and truth.

And while Moore will not be headed to Washington, there is one last issue to address: the man currently sitting in the Oval Office has had several women come forward and accuse him of assault. To him I say this: change is here to stay.

Doug Jones is the newly elected Senator from Alabama. 

Jillian James is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communication (because apparently you can’t minor in Beyoncé studies). Her favorite food is free because she is a college student and the two loves of her life are Ben and Jerry (of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream fame). If she’s not writing or reading she is probably watching The Office or waiting in line at Starbucks. She loves to show off her dance moves in “inappropriate” places like the grocery store. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Jillianrosej, where she frequently posts things that make people think that she has her life together.