The Do’s and Don’ts of Spirit Splash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Homecoming, the most wonderful time of the year. With a free football game, comedy show, and concert, who would ever want to miss homecoming week? There’s one UCF homecoming tradition that stands out from any other university: Spirit Splash. 

For the newbies out there who are not aware yet, Spirit Splash is when thousands of students circle around the reflection pond awaiting the countdown to race towards the water. Normally, students are only “allowed” to go inside of the pond if they’re graduating so this is a big deal to most students. The best part about spirit splash is having rubber duckies being thrown at you and if you’re lucky enough, you just might catch one. Here are a few tips on how to successfully participate in your first spirit splash.

DON’T

Be the first one to rush in

I know the music is pumping and everyone is running in at the same time, but if you want to keep all of your limbs then don’t run in with the crowd. Running in with 10,000+ students is like asking to get trampled by a herd of elephants. 

DO

Wait till the countdown is over before you run

Rather than getting pushed and stepped on as soon as the countdown is over, wait until most of the students have ran in then follow in afterwards. I guarantee it is just as fun and you won’t get hurt!

DON’T

Bring your phone in the water

I don’t care how many snapchats you want to take. There are so many people in the water and you are constantly getting pushed that your phone is bound to fall in.

DO

Protect your phone

If you really want to document this moment, then put your phone in a strong plastic baggy so if it drops into the water its protected without the cost of an actual waterproof phone case. 

DON’T

Stand next to tall guys

It may seem like a good idea to stand next to the tall crew so they can catch that rubber duck for you, but this isn’t High School Musical and no guy is nice enough to give away their hard earned duck. I stood next to 2 tall guys while waiting to catch a duck and as soon as one was coming our way both of them jumped so high that they fell back into the water and almost dragged me with them.

DO

Wait on the sides

I know it does not make any sense to stand on the sides, but a lot of volunteers throw ducks in that area. Instead of getting trampled by 6 ft. guys in the center, go towards the sides where the steps are and just wait for a duck to come your way.

Well, there you have it. A few tips on how to successfully do your first Spirit Splash. This year Spirit Splash is on October 13 with t-shirt distribution starting at 12:00 p.m. and the run into the water starting at 1:00 p.m.!

P.S. go early and wait in line for that T-shirt. You’ll be happy you did.

Good luck, Knights!

Shelly is a junior studying Human Communications while minoring in Writing/Rhetoric at UCF. She is bilingual in both English and Hebrew. Besides writing, one of her many passions is theatre. You'll almost always find her singing and being the most dramatic person in the group! 
UCF Contributor