Dear New You: You Are More Than A New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Screen Shot 2022 01 17 at 11.42.14 PM

PHOTO BY DREW BEAMER FROM UNSPLASH

Dear New You.

Are you on track to creating a list of New Year Resolutions? If so, crumble it, throw it in a recycling bin and never look back.

I know you have been told by society many times the importance of having  New Year Resolutions. However, did you ever think that maybe having a New Year’s Resolution causes more harm than good? I remember sitting on my bed on New Year’s Eve, pulling out my stash of Staples Gel Pens, and getting excited about creating resolutions to start on January 1st. Then January 1st came. I already felt defeated by oversleeping and not heading to the gym. I didn’t meet one of my resolutions.

Then I realized: no.

Yes, I didn’t go to the gym on January 1st, but I still have 364 more days to redeem myself. Most importantly, I have a whole future ahead of me where I can learn from my shortcomings and turn them into a blessing. So do you!

My point is that when it comes to becoming the best version of yourself, there will be days when you will feel unmotivated. There will be days where you want to rest or need to take time off to be with family and friends.

More so, self-improvement is not something that happens overnight. It is a process that can last a lifetime.

Screen Shot 2022 01 17 at 11.45.24 PM

PHOTO BY FAB LENTZ FROM UNSPLASH

Think about it.

At 12 years old, Beyoncé lost on the talent TV show: Star Search. Now she is one of the most famous singers of all time.

Vera Wang was unsuccessful in making the figure skating Olympic team in 1968. Now she is worth over a billion dollars through being a designer.

The moral of the story is that these women never gave up when they went through challenges. More importantly, they are still writing their legacy.

The main problem with New Year Resolutions is that they focus more on the outcomes than the process (Which is the beauty of it all). Unfortunately, this will cause you to diminish all the small accomplishments you made along the way. It will cause you to question your self-worth until you achieve your resolution. But here is the truth.

You are worthy.

You are amazing just for attempting to better yourself because it takes a lot of courage and determination to start.

You sell yourself short thinking otherwise.

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Slow and steady always win the race.

New Year’s resolutions are dangerous because they are absolute.  “I must remove all forms of junk foods out of my diet.” Now that sounds like a bland diet. Most importantly, it sounds unrealistic. Instead, review what you already accomplished and write down new adventures you want to experience. It will allow you to enter the new year more focused and optimistic.

alexa williams YwBX02K60A4 unsplash

Photo by Alexa Williams on Unsplash

I know this might be a new way of thinking for you, not making a New Year’s Resolution. However, trust me, it is about time society revolt this way of thinking. Like why choose to start to change yourself on January 1st. Why not just start when you feel like starting? Why should you feel defeated for being human by messing up along the way?

So with that, cheers to bettering yourself while being open to making mistakes along the way. Treat yourself by eating that slice of pizza or taking a week off writing your future best-selling novel. Lastly, if you decide to take a break, it’s okay. Roll through the punches and punch back harder. The beauty of this mindset is that you are writing a story, which is much more meaningful than a resolution. I hope you have a great self-journey and get one step closer to receiving all the blessings you deserve.

Yours Truly,

(and Happy New Year!)

Eliana                                                         

Eliana Jacobs is a National Contributing Writer for Her Campus. Born and raised in Southwest Florida, Eliana writes articles about lifestyle, Her 20s, and career-related goals/activities. Before becoming a national writer, Eliana wrote under the UCF Her Campus Chapter,where she wrote about health and wellness. Additionally, she has a passion for social justice, advocacy, and race-related news. Beyond Her Campus, Eliana also writes flash fiction and poetry for the nation’s largest student-run organization, Strike Magazine. Some of her most recent publications include Life In Plastic: It’s “Fantastic”. Eliana also was awarded multiple honorable mentions for her writing during her undergraduate career in her school’s Tutors’ Choice Flash Fiction Contest. Lastly, she recently graduated from the University of Central Florida, earning a dual degree in Sociology and Interdisciplinary Studies on a Pre-Medical Track. Ultimately, Eliana aspires to pursue an MD/MPH to specialize in Pediatric Endocrinology while intersecting her passion for public health through medical research, poetry, and journalism. In her free time, Eliana enjoys shopping, working out, and traveling. Lastly, Eliana loves exploring local cuisines and documenting restaurants she tried (Orlando and beyond) on her food Instagram.