This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Award shows display the glamor and excellence that Hollywood has to offer.  Those in attendance attempt to present themselves in the best state possible.  Whether they be wearing an expensive suit, diamond earrings or, an elegant gown, these celebrities try to dress impeccably. 

But through all the glitz and glamor, a competition comes about.  Sometimes stronger than the awards themselves, are the outfits that these celebrities wear. Like when Icelandic artist, Bjork, showed up to the 73rd Academy Awards in a swan dress. In some cases, the memory of a person’s outfit can last longer than the memory of what they won for. 

Though this may be hard to believe, how else does one explain the months of planning, thousands spent and, hours used to get ready for an evening?

History used to be the stuff of achievement and, nowadays, it seems like the only achievement worth remembering is of appearances. 

The problem runs deeper than how shallow it all seems and, these awards shows only highlight the issue.  Celebrities are constantly pitted against each other and, not because of their work or talent but, because of the way they look. 

When celebrities wear similar outfits, to these high press functions, often times they are compared to one another to determine who the best is.

But is it wrong to carry out these comparisons?

Danielle Dickey, a student from the University of Central Florida who is majoring in Women’s Studies, believes the effects these comparisons can have a negative impact on women in particular.

“Comparing women who dress the same perpetuates the idea that the most important thing a woman [has] is her looks,” stated Dickey, “Women should not be made to feel as if they are competing against each other.”

Recently, singers Beyoncé and Ciara have been in the entertainment news after both women wore similar red dresses to different functions. Though the long sleeve red dresses were made of different materials, the similarity of the two outfits, and the fact that both celebrities were showing off their baby bumps, set the entertainment industry a buzz.

Side by side photos of the two women could be found on almost any social media form, inciting the question of “Who wore it better?”  Others simply asked if Ciara had stolen Beyoncé’s look.  Ariana Grande is another artist who has been compared to the Queen B and, not because of her voice but because of her clothing. 

“Fashion should be about self-expression and empowerment,” said Dickey, “But the media turns this idea on its head by making it a competition.” 

Throughout history, clothing and fashion have been used to display a person’s status in society.  In China, the emperor would wear yellow to symbolize the sun and show off his power.  During the Middle Ages, in Europe, the length of the garment and material used to make a person’s clothing would convey their rank in society.

However, in our modern society fabrics and color dyes have become much more affordable to the common person.  Status is no longer the issue, competition is. Particularly when it comes to two women dressing the same.  Women often find themselves feeling self-conscious if they are found to be at a function with someone wearing the same or similar clothing. 

But why?

Perhaps it is because of the competitive nature the fashion industry and entertainment outlets push on the public.  Clearly, a situation where you might be wearing the same thing as someone else will eventually arise, mostly due to the fact that industrialization has taken place and clothing is manufactured in bulk nowadays.

The feeling that your clothing makes you unique is so desired that to see two women wearing the same outfit becomes almost sinful. We pit these women against each other to determine who deserves the recognition of the outfit and who deserves to be ridiculed.

“When the average women sees comparisons like this,” Dickey stated, “she might walk away feeling as if she is less attractive than both celebrities, even the one deemed ‘less attractive’ by the media.” 

Photo credit: Cover, 1, 2 , 3 , 4

Colleen is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science at the University of Central Florida. Along with being a staff writer for Her Campus, she volunteers with the Young Women's Leadership Program, or YWLP. When Colleen isn't volunteering or writing, she is attempting to keep her plants alive. She claims that if she weren't looking for a writing career, she would try out being a florist. Her first inspiration to pursue journalism was none other than the quirky reporter Keely Teslow, from Disney Channel's Phil of the Future. What has continued to inspire Colleen to continue on in a journalism career is her constant curiosity and passion for writing about life.
UCF Contributor