A Comprehensive List of the Most Iconic ‘Glee’ Covers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If there’s one thing we all learned from Glee, it’s that Will Schuester belongs in prison.

But if there are two things we all learned from Glee, it’s that Will Schuester belongs in prison and that some of the show’s covers were much more iconic than the rest. We’ve compiled a list of 20 songs that would make anyone proud to self-identify as a Gleek.

“Teenage Dream” by Blaine

(This applies to both the original cover and the moving piano version from season four, both performed by Blaine for Kurt.)

“Run Joey Run” by Rachel, Puck, Jesse & Finn

A performance that was so iconic it became a running gag for the rest of the series. 

“It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” by Rachel

Rachel performs some of the most memorable solos of Glee’s entire run, but this national championship-winning number will always have a special place in our heart.

“Party All the Time” by Holly

One of the most underrated songs of the ’80s and one of the most underrated Glee covers all in one.

“Hello” by Rachel and Jesse

Because haven’t we all wanted to duet this Lionel Richie classic in a public library with our crush?

“Make You Feel My Love” by Rachel

“The Quarterback,” which dealt with Cory Monteith (Finn)’s death, is one of the most heart-wrenching episodes of the series. Lea Michele’s solo is a tribute to both her character’s boyfriend and her real-life one, and it’s as devastating as it is beautiful.

“Let’s Have A Kiki/Turkey Lurkey Time” by Isabelle, Kurt, Brody & Rachel

It feels more like a fever dream than a Glee performance, but so did every other moment of the series. 

“Disco Inferno” by Mercedes

In an episode filled with iconic performances, “Disco Inferno” stands out as one of the best in “Saturday Night Glee-ver.” 

“Say A Little Prayer” by Quinn, Santana & Brittany

Enter the Unholy Trinity. We are not worthy.

“Roots Before Branches” by Rachel

“Roots Before Branches,” the last duet between Rachel and Finn, was the perfect way to end season three on a high note. 

“Poker Face” by Rachel and Shelby

Dare we say this is better than the orignial?

“Valerie” by Santana

Santana was born to sing this song.

“Don’t Rain on my Parade” by Rachel

By season three, this song became Rachel’s anthem — probably thanks to the fact that she killed it in every sense of the word. She was born to star in Funny Girl and she knows it.

“Don’t Rain on My Parade” by Santana

…but Santana did it better.

“Don’t Dream It’s Over” by the New Directions

We can all agree that season 4 is when Glee starts to take a turn for the worse, but there are still some moments that carry the show along, such as this incredible performance by the New Directions.

“Bust Your Windows” by Mercedes

The passion. The power. The performance. There’s nothing else to say but thank you, Queen Mercedes.

“Blame It on the Alcohol” by the New Directions

Nothing more fitting for alcohol awareness week than watching the New Directions get smashed at school. Speaking of, which kind of drunk are you? I for one am a Mercedes/Tina drunk.

“Bust a Move”/”Thong Song”/”Ice Ice Baby” by Will Schuster

There are a lot of bad moments in Glee, and the worst and (unfortunately) most memorable include any time Will Schuster thinks it’s a good idea to rap. Case in point.

“Heads Will Roll/Thriller” by the New Directions

Mashups were one of the best things that Glee did, and I’m surprised more didn’t make the list — but this takes the cake for the best one. I remember listening to it on my iPod Nano in middle school and it’s always had a special place in my heart.

“Smooth Criminal” by Santana and Sebastian

This is hands-down the best Glee cover of all time. Facts only.

Glee gave us the good, the bad and the ugly of pop song covers, and while it’s great to look back at and cringe about now, we can’t help but wish we could experience Glee today. Who wouldn’t kill to see a Hamilton episode or a Jonas Brothers reunion special? Or to listen to Mercedes cover Lizzo and Kurt obsess over Kim Petras? Honestly, it’s what we deserve…so Ryan Murphy, if you’re out there — please?

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!
Lena is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida and very emotional about it. She serves as HCUCF's President and Campus Correspondent and is studying hospitality in hopes of making her childhood dreams of getting paid to travel the world come true. She is head over heels in love with all things aesthetically pleasing, so what could be better than working a job that will result in cute photos? While she's not in school or checking out the tacky tourist attractions around Orlando, you can find her spending more money than she has on concerts, clothes, and crappy coffee. She is a low-key movie addict and a high-key Instagram addict. If you want to see what she's up to when she's not hiding behind her laptop screen, you can follow her on Instagram @lena.daniels