Comedic Relief: 10 TV Shows That Tickle Your Funny Bone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In the mood to binge-watch something? In the mood to laugh? That’s the perfect combo, and I think I can help you out with my list of the 10 ten shows that will be able to tickle your funny bone. Enjoy!

10. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Coming straight to you from the creative and funny mind of Tina Fey, this quirky comedy explores the life of Kimmy Schmidt—a young woman who ventures out into the “real world”, after being held captive for 15 years. Schmidt is played by the exceptional Ellie Kemper, who shines as the wide-eyed and naïve Kimmy—but the ultimate treasure of the show is the hilarious Titus Burgess, who captivates as Kimmy’s over-the-top, show tune singing, lazy roommate. Though the shenanigans surrounding Kimmy can sometimes be far-fetched, the comedy scores with its characters, setting, and story. And Titus’s amazing parody of Beyonce’s Lemonade, should be reason enough to watch this show.

Streaming on: Netflix

9. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Set in the fictional Paddy’s Pub, we follow the lives of the “gang,” which consists of twins Dennis and Dee, their childhood friends Mac and Charlie, and their father Frank—portrayed by the hysterical Danny DeVito. The morals that surround the gang are very distorted, but you can’t help but laugh at the outrageous antics of these five. The best part is that they are also the writers/creators of the show, and best friends in real life. A cult following of this show is very prominent, and it is the source of many Twitter-famous memes. IASIP recently made history by tying as the longest running live-action comedy series, since they are currently in production of their 13th season. Side note: The Pepe Silvia arch is one of the most hilarious parts of the show, so definitely check it out.

Streaming on: Hulu 

8. Atlanta

As if Donald Glover wasn’t talented enough as an actor, stand-up comic, and successful rap artist—he had to create and star in this Emmy-nominated comedy series that earned him a lead actor award. Atlanta centers on his character Earn, as he tries to manage his cousin’s up-and-coming rap career as “Paper Boi.” The show’s writing and characters show the funny side of the struggle to navigate one’s life, especially trying to make it in one of the music capitals of the world. The show’s first season was highly praised and the renewal of a second season was almost immediate—but we will have to wait until late 2018 unfortunately, since Glover will be preoccupied with his next project—the newest Star Wars film…like that’s no big deal.

Streaming on: Hulu, FXNOW 

7. Veep

I’m very interested in starting a petition to have Julia Louis-Dreyfus take over as our actual VP, anyone with me? This political satire follows Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer, a former Senator who is thrown into the vice presidential role, and finds it way more challenging than she expected. Her actions and those of her trusted staffers are comical as they are insane, and we are excited to see what is to come next in Meyer’s agenda. Veep has been Emmy-nominated for outstanding comedy series and best actress for six consecutive years, with Louis-Dreyfus taking home that award every. single. time. I definitely recommend this one for any political science major wanting to see the not so heavy side of government, but you’re going to want to catch up before its final season premieres in 2018.

Streaming on: HBO GO, Amazon Prime (Seasons 1-2) 

6. How I Met Your Mother

Legend…wait for it—this show has one of the biggest cult followings out of all the shows listed, due to its highly eccentric humor and unusual structure. The show begins with a man talking to his son and daughter about the events that led to the introduction of himself and their mother—and from there, we follow the younger Ted Mosby and his friends and the comedic situations that they find themselves in. The definite scene-stealer of this series is Barney Stinson, Ted’s friend, who is the definition of a womanizer and provides most of that eccentric humor previously mentioned. He is played by the fantastic Neil Patrick Harris, and coins most of the famous phrases from the show. The early seasons of the show was highly praised, with the later ones being more mixed, especially the last season and the very controversial series finale that outraged many die-hard fans. Still, HIMYM is definitely worth the watch—ah, dary.

Streaming on: Netflix

5. Insecure

The emergence of the iconic Issa Rae is chronicled in the comedy series surrounded around the awkward situations plaguing her life—and trust me, they are entertaining and extremely accurate. The show focuses on the personal lives of Rae and her best friend Molly, as two modern black women, trying to master various everyday challenges, as well as the bigger issues that come along with being strong black women in this contemporary world. The show received critical acclaim and has been renewed for a third season, which fans are very excited for, wanting to see what new situations Rae will find herself in next. The show also contains an exceptional soundtrack filled with known and up-and-coming rap and R&B artists, which I definitely recommend you listen to. Side note: Issa’s mirror raps are the ultimate gem of the show, and inspire us all to bring out our inner rappers—even though I really shouldn’t.

Streaming on: HBO GO 

4. Friends

If this series doesn’t make you want to conquer New York City with your best friends, then I don’t know what will. It’s time to grab a cup of coffee at the “Central Perk” and sip it with one of the best crews around—the sarcastic Chandler, nerdy Ross, good-looking but dumb Joey, neurotic Monica, ditzy Phoebe, and dramatic Rachel—who have been the platform for sitcom relationships for many years. Various shows have tried to re-create the dynamic of these six, but I assure you, it is one of a kind. Lasting from 1994-2004, you stick by the group through everything—break-ups, make-ups, happy times, sad times, and of course, the infamous “break.” Known as one of the greatest TV shows of all time, the comedy and good-hearted material will definitely be able to lift your spirits—and know that the show will always “be there for you.”

Streaming on: Netflix

3. 30 Rock

One of my personal favorites, Tina Fey amazed audiences and critics with this strongly written and very entertaining comedy series. Enter the famed halls of 30 Rockefeller Plaza and join Fey’s character Liz Lemon as she deals with the daily craziness that comes along with her NBC sketch show, who’s main star is the wildly unpredictable Tracy Jordan—played by comic Tracy Morgan. She is also joined by a talented ensemble and various cameos, but the best relationship she holds is being the work wife of the NBC exec Jack Donaghy, portrayed by Alec Baldwin. This show lasted for 7 seasons and never fails to make one laugh with its premise being loosely based off of the backstage behavior of Saturday Night Live. Side note: the two episodes centering on Tracy Jordan’s wife and her reality show, “Queen of Jordan” are the best! 10/10 recommend.

Streaming on: Hulu 

2. Parks and Recreation

Another NBC comedy hit stars Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope, the determined, environment loving, employee at the Indiana Parks and Recreation department. This workplace comedy also stars the incredible ensemble cast of Chris Pratt, Aziz Ansari, and Aubrey Plaza, just to name a few. We also can’t forget an honorable mention of Knope’s boss and the hilarious king of one-liners, Ron Swanson—played by comic Nick Offerman. The entire cast shines as a weird group of personalities that somehow come to together to help the parks of the city of Pawnee—and to give us endless laughter in the process. Side note: Lil’ Sebastian…enough said.

Streaming on: Netflix, Hulu 

1. The Office

I never thought in an office for a paper company would be so much fun—well that’s probably because the employees at the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin don’t get much work done, thanks to their strange yet hysterical boss, Michael Scott. This series set the bar for what an exceptional workplace comedy should look like—as well as what any other comedy should look like. So many things took place during the series’ 9 season run, which includes the adorable relationship of employees Jim and Pam, the crazy antics of Dwight, and eventually ends with a heartfelt series finale that may bring some tears to your eyes. Each episode’s wit and humor will make you want them to keep coming. That’s what she said.

Streaming on: Netflix

There are many, many other comedy shows available for streaming on Netflix or Hulu, but these are just a few of my favorites. I hope you take one of my suggestions and fall in love with one of these amazing series!

Peyton is in her junior year at UCF. She is a journalism major and a political science minor. She has always had a passion for writing and enjoys  being a UCF HerCampus team member. Go Knights! 
UCF Contributor