A Collegiette’s Guide to a Professional Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As the end of the semester rolls around, it’s about that time for us to start thinking about classes and schedules for next semester. For some of us, this also means thinking about internships. Internships are a great way to build your resume and help you gain valuable experience in the professional field you hope to enter one day.

Many collegiettes are dazed and confused when it comes to professional attire. When going to an internship interview, your favorite go-to jeans and t-shirt outfit aren’t going to cut it. However, if you have a few basic clothing items in your closet, finding the perfect professional outfit should be a walk in the park!

Here are 6 essentials every professional collegiette should have in their closet:

Basic Blazer

A well-tailored blazer can accentuate any professional outfit. Throwing them over an appropriate dress or pairing them with slacks makes your outfit look clean and sophisticated. Having a black, navy or tan blazer (or all three) guarantees that your blazer will match almost any outfit. The great things about blazers are that they can be easily transitioned from a day in the office to a night out with friends.

Black pumps

No, I don’t mean your 5-inch stilettos you wear out on the weekends. Stumbling into your interview in high heels that you can’t walk in will not impress your future employer. The ideal “professional black pump” is a leather closed toe pump with a 2- to 3-inch heel.

Slacks

Definitely invest in a pair of slacks in a neutral color such as black or navy. You will be able to pair these with just about anything, and they are appropriate in a casual or a little dressier work environment. Another great thing about slacks is that you are able to wear them repeatedly with different tops and chances are no one will notice!

Pencil skirt

Same rules apply here: Buy in neutral, easy-to-match colors that are appropriate in almost any environment. When buying a pencil skirt, however, you do want to make sure you select one that is an appropriate length. A good rule of thumb is if you can’t sit down comfortably, your skirt is too short. You never want to expose too much skin or be worried about your skirt coming up too high.

Button down blouses

Having a selection of button downs in your closet will make coming up with appropriate outfits extremely easy. Mixing and matching them with your slacks and pencil skirts creates many different outfit options. You do want to remember not to wear anything that reveals any cleavage. Button downs can be both fun and professional at the same time!

Suit

Even if your place of employment doesn’t require you to wear a suit to work everyday, suits are a must-have in your professional wardrobe. You can never go wrong by wearing a suit to an interview. It’s always much better to be overdressed than underdressed, and I’m sure your potential employer will be impressed by the fact that you actually own a suit.