5 Christmas Songs You Aren’t Already Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Christmastime is coming in the U.S. and, despite note-worthy differences among religious tradition and animated disputes over whether to play seasonal music before or after Thanksgiving, that manages to bring about unmatched enchantment with the holiday season and its provisions. From lovably naïve Hallmark movies, eggnog and hot cocoa and many a family tradition, Christmastime in the continental U.S. seems to seep into virtually every aspect of our regularly scheduled programming, if only for a few wistful winter months.

In these warm winter months at UCF, I’ve found myself experiencing some cognitive dissonance intruding in on my holiday spirit. The sweater I wear to my 8:00 AM class quickly becomes inappropriate by mid-day in the temperamental Florida sun and finals week doesn’t exactly explode holiday cheer. Since we’ve recently embarked on the academically frigid month of December, which in its final hour promises an onslaught of assignments, drinking hot chocolate on my apartment porch when night falls is one of my only reminders that ’tis the season.

Like with all problems in life, I’ve noticed music can make a worthwhile contribution in combatting anything that stands in the way of me and a Christmas miracle. I’ve always felt like this time of year had a sound. The sound of going home sprinkled notes and poignant story. I expect everyone will be unwittingly bombarded with Christmas Classics at Christmas Dinner, on the local hometown radio station or at Target during the Christmas Eve rush, so these are my top five picks for songs that sound like Christmas (that you aren’t already tired of hearing).

*Full list on Spotify

sOMETHING stupid BY fRANK and Nancy Sinatra

Something Stupid is a lovely 1960s song that tells the story of two lovers dancing around the awkwardness of proclaiming their affections. The violins and jazzy feel paired with a sweet sentiment are perfect for Christmas romance, if you can get over the father-daughter duo on the recording.

Holiday-ish (feat. Dylan Minette) by the regrettes

Holiday-ish is another duet staple you should add to your holiday music list. It’s heartwarming back and forth between Lydia Night of the Regrettes and Dylan Minette of Wallows and 13 Reasons Why fame, is made even more intoxicating by the duo’s relationship status but is otherwise a modern-twist on Christmas duets.

Sospetti e Tenerezze by Ennio mORRICONE

Sospetti e Tenerezze is a bright, beautiful instrumental track that feels like an evening stroll down shop-lined streets in Italian wintertime and is perfect for complementing cookie baking or chestnut roasting by an open fire.

wHERE IS MY MIND – PIANO RENDITION BY THE BLUE NOTES

Now, looking this song up on Spotify, you’ll find it’s marked as a Halloween edition, but nothing describes the emotional depth holiday wintertime can drudge up more than a raw piano version of Where is My Mind by the Pixies.

Malibu 1992 by coin

This song inspired my whole Christmas Music that isn’t really Christmas Music rabbit hole. There’s something about the sickly sweet story of soured young lovers that makes me feel nostalgic every time I play it. The story-like narrative will captivate you if the intoxicating beat and whimsical vocals don’t. This is a song that will remind you of the confusing bliss and regret that comes with growing up and getting on.

What are your favorite songs to get in the Christmas spirit?

Hanya Irfan is pursuing a degree in Health Sciences with a minor in Cognitive Science at the University of Central Florida. She is avid lover of alternative and classic rock, good books, long walks, and live music. In her spare time, she is passionate about teaching English and drinking cold caffeinated beverages.