Calling All Cyclists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

A university with over 53,000 students means two things – a large campus and heavy traffic. Both of these can be frustrating when trying to get to class on time. So what’s the solution? It’s simple! There is a reason behind every bike rack on campus, because biking is the way to go! Not only is this optimal for time, but it is also great for exercise, gas money, and the environment.

The biking community here at UCF is steadily growing. A driving force behind this is none other than the Spokescouncil, an organization dedicated to bike awareness. This group can be found at the Student Union every Tuesday and Wednesday, where they fix students’ bikes for free. They also work with officials to make the campus more biking friendly. Many activities are hosted by the club to promote the sport in a fun and interactive way. Spokescouncil president, Marcus Bagnell, has been interviewed for more information.

When was the Spokescouncil established?
Spokescouncil started as a group of mostly UCF students interested in growing bike culture in the East Orlando area. The group initially formed in late 2008 and began hosting rides and teaching bike repair at a garage off campus. The club became registered as a UCF student organization in September of 2010.

What is the purpose of the club?
The club’s main goal is to get more people riding bicycles. We work towards that goal by teaching people the skills they need to keep their bike in good working condition, as well as showing them how to bike safely and legally in the road. By hosting rides and teaching bike repair, the club also provides a community where anyone can come and find people to ride with. We are also continuously working with UCF to help provide cycling infrastructure on campus to make riding more accessible to as many people as possible.

What are ALL the events/activities that Spokescouncil partakes in?
We have quite a few regularly scheduled events:

Tuesday Knight Ride– This is a ride down the Little Econ Greenway starting at 8 pm. This is our longest running ride and has been going every week, with very few exceptions, for the past 2 and half years. There’s usually between 20 and 40 people, and we go for a short, casually paced ride down the trail. Afterwards, we head to Lazy Moon for pizza.

Student Union Bike Repair– Students can come and learn how to fix their bikes every Tuesday and Wednesday from 12-3 p.m. outside the Student Union. We have all the tools and mechanics on duty to show anyone who wants to learn about how to keep their bike in good condition. We also have free replacement tubes for students. Coming Fall 2012, we’ll be expanding our hours to 4 hours per day, 4 days per week.

Critical Mass– The last Friday of each month, Spokescouncil hosts a ride to Critical Mass, which starts at Loch Haven Park near downtown and continues for about 7-12 miles. This is a ride that goes on in many major cities around the world each month to promote bike awareness.

Sunday Park Day– We go on a short ride from the Student Union, down Lockwood Blvd. to Oviedo Riverside Park for games and hiking. This ride isn’t every week, but we try to do it at least once a month and more often in the summer.

Bigger Events– We try to host a larger event each semester. In the past we’ve done a pirate-themed scavenger hunt around campus. We’ve also done a pizza-themed race, where riders had to eat pizza at each stop. Similar to this, we’ve had a video game-themed race with different activities at checkpoints scattered around East Orlando.

In addition to the regularly scheduled events, one of the great things about the club is how easy it is to get a ride. It’s as easy as making a post on Facebook, and you can usually find at least a small group with just a few hours’ notice. People often get groups together to go on rides around campus, to downtown, to Whole Foods, and do faster workouts.

Do you enter any competitions?
There are plenty of good reasons to ride a bike and we definitely welcome anyone who wants to ride for any reason. There are members of the club who ride to commute, for fun, to stay in shape, as a green transportation alternative, and a few who train for races. There haven’t seen too many members who focus on road racing, possibly because there are sport clubs such as the Central Florida Cyclists and the Tri-Knights who do that.

How many members would you say there are total? How many girls in comparison to guys?
We have around 80 members who regularly participate in various events each month. There are a few more guys than girls. It’s tough to say, but I’d guess it’s probably around 3 to 1.

What bike would you recommend to someone who would be interested?
People ride bikes for so many different reasons; it’s hard to pick just one to give a recommendation. It’s a good idea to think about why you want to ride and then try out several different bikes to see what you like best. If you want to ride for leisure, on the paved trails, a beach cruiser is really fun. If you’re trying to start commuting or going longer distances, you’d want a much lighter, faster road bike. Since Orlando is so flat, single-speed bikes are especially good for their low maintenance. Road bikes aren’t good off of pavement though, so if you are interested in dirt trails or curb jumping, you might want a mountain bike.

Spokescouncil is currently in the middle of a new accomplishment.  They have teamed up with the Student Government Association (SGA) to fund and install permanently mounted, Do-It-Yourself repair stands. This stand has an integrated pump and other tools for cyclists to do common maintenance tasks. It also allows them to raise up their bikes in order to fix it properly. There are already stands at the Student Union and the Recreation and Wellness Center. A third stand is planned to be installed outside of the Arena by the end of spring semester.

A bike has more benefits than just getting you to class on time. With the efforts of Spokescouncil, UCF has become a more bike-friendly university. Whether you need maintenance help, want environmentally friendly transportation, or just a group to ride with, this club is perfect. If you are interested these activities, look for Spokescouncil at the student Union every Tuesday and Wednesday. You can also contact them via Facebook by liking their page. Take a break from spin class and go on a nice trail ride!