“Boy Meets World” Keeps Spinning On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The moment us ’90s kids have been waiting for but thought too good to be true has been confirmed. Christmas came early this year with the announcement that Boy Meets World is back with a twist!

In my opinion, Boy Meets World was the pinnacle of TV sitcoms. Appropriate for any age group, smart, engaging and relatable. It felt as if the characters were your own friends and family. You fiercely rooted for them. You grew up with them. You actually loved them.

When Cory and Topanga broke up, your heart broke as well. When Eric renamed himself “Plays With Squirrels,” you fell for the goofball even more. When Shawn joined that weird cult thing, you were freaked out for him. When Mr.Turner got in that motorcycle accident, you cried with them. When Mr.Feeny gave a nugget of wisdom, you listened and learned. That one time they had that episode where they go back to the ’50s and they think Cory is a Russian spy named Brad Pitt-sir you were like, okay kinda weird, but I love it. The graduation speech. The wedding. Cory and Topanga’s first kiss when they’re chained to the lockers! Okay, I’m getting carried away here.

The important thing is, Boy Meets World was the best – and it’s getting a spin-off! Thousands of ’90s kids all across America, rejoice! This Disney series, entitled Girl Meets World, will follow the lives of Cory and Topanga as parents to their 13-year-old daughter, Riley. Riley hasn’t been cast yet, but whoever she is, is living the dream getting to play the kid of everyone’s favorite elementary school sweethearts. Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel have openly signed on and now everyone’s anxiously awaiting to see if the rest of the original cast will make appearances as well.

Also, with the original Executive Producer Michael Jacobs as the captain of this spin-off ship, it’s sure to sail to success. Topanga, I mean, Danielle Fishel said, “I promise with the entirety of my heart that we will make GMW with the same honesty, innocence, and intelligence that you learned to expect from BMW.”

Don’t set your TiVo’s yet, though. The pilot is still in its very early stages of development, but obviously it’ll be worth the wait! Until then, remember the wise words of Eric Matthews, “Life’s tough. Get a helmet.”

Molly Slicker is a Human Communication major with a minor in Film. She is an entertainment junkie who appreciates good humor, good vocabulary and good friends. She gets way too attached to fictional characters and her favorite sports teams. She is inspired by her family, faith and the 2001-2002 cast of Saturday Night Live. Follow Molly on Twitter for mostly sarcastic updates about celebrities and her life's awkward situations or on Instagram for pictures of her feeble attempts at craftiness
UCF Contributor