This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This one is for all the boys out there who track those hashtags on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook that degrade girls and women for liking geeky things. 

It’s not fair that the first thing you see when you type your favorite superhero, comic book series, etc. online that the FIRST pictures to pop up are of these suggestive pictures that are totally & without a doubt derogatory towards us girls. Not cool.

These are the things that boys look at and assume things about us, calling us “fake fans”. No sir, we are actual fangirls who love comics, see all the movies, have all the merch, can quote Man of Steel by heart, and play games on their XBOX every night; they’re seen as being “fake” or “just doing it to look cool for a boy”. 

There is only one thing that I have to say about that and a message that I want you to tell that butthead on the bus the next time he has something to say about you ROCKING that DC Comics t-shirt, that Deadpool hair bow, or that Black Widow printed skirt. I want you to look him and his idiot friend right in the eyes and say, “Boy, BYE.” 

It’s not fair to girls that when we want to like Marvel or we live for DC, that there are those guys out there who don’t take us seriously. I didn’t know that there was a universal rule that girls couldn’t like superheroes or that we aren’t allowed to play video games. 

Boys should not feel the need to throw shade or totally sexist comments about how, “You probably don’t know a single thing about Batman, and just got that shirt because you think Christian Bale is cute.” I mean yeah, he really is attractive…but that doesn’t mean that I couldn’t SLAY you while playing 

Arkham Asylum or that I couldn’t tell you literally anything about Batman if you asked.

So, the next time that guy tries it and you’re just not having it I give you this permission. You let him know what you own it and you probably know more about whatever it is that he’s shaming you for than he does. That’s why he’s salty. Let him stay that way.

Don’t let those girls on social media portray us “real” geek girls as nothing but sex objects. Keep wearing the Bat-signal printed on your skater skirts, the Krypton symbol of hope (Superman “S”) on t-shirts, Black Widow earrings, & Captain America leggings. Let them talk, because in the end who’s the one with the most kills in Call of Duty? Girlfriend, that’s all YOU.

Photo credit: Image 1, Image 2

*taps mic* IS THIS THING ON?Hey y'all  it's Brianna! Her life is one big ball of sarcasm, sass, Disney, Superman, & awkwardness.Human Communications major by day, Netflix binge watcher by night, & professional at making "dad-jokes"  .She lives in the makeup aisle and you catch her either spending all her money there or in a Disney park somwhere. Brianna loves books, and is probably living in a fantasy world 99.9% of the time.   Check me out on the World Wide Web:Tumblr:http://simple-imperfection.tumblr.com/Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/simply_breezie/Twitter:https://twitter.com/simply_breezie
UCF Contributor