Bows: Childish or Stylish?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When a new mother brings a little princess into the world, everything surrounding her suddenly turns to pink. Everything suddenly looks better with a little more sparkle and each tiny outfit can only be completed with the perfect hair accessory: a bow.  It almost becomes a secret competition between mothers to see which little diva can have the biggest hair accessory.

When we were tiny tots, bows were popular. Now, I feel like they are spiraling out of control. There’s literally a bow for every occasion. You can buy a hair bow specifically for each holiday. Going to Disney? There’s a bow for that. Headed out to root for your favorite team? There’s a bow for that.  There are many websites that specialize in bows and people can even buy outfits (bow included) to bring their newborn home from the hospital.

Teresa Giudice, of the Real Housewives of New Jersey, has four impeccably dressed little girls, all of whom she would not let out of the house without a perfectly placed, coordinating bow.  Those of us who watch the ever so popular Bravo series saw Teresa bring home a newborn Audriana with a bow bigger than her tiny head! 

Now, let’s fast-forward about twenty years. Taking a walk down Greek Park, it almost looks like we’ve gone back to being toddlers. Almost every sorority girl has a perfectly placed bow attached to her perfectly straightened hair. At tailgates on Saturdays, you’ll always spot black and gold bows to complete our spirited outfits to cheer on our Knights. Bows can spice up a simple tee and jean shorts  ensemble or even make you feel a little cuter while working out at the gym. As an owner of too many bows to reveal to the public, I wear a bow each and every day. No outfit is ever complete without one.

However, something us bow-addicts can struggle with is the appropriate times to wear a bow. If it was up to me, I’d say all the time. Even to the pool. Even to bed. Since bows can have the “childish” connotation, I’d recommend not wearing a bow to the office. Although it may look perfect, if we want to be taken seriously, we have to leave the bows at home. The same thing goes for bar hopping at the infamous plaza or heading out for a night downtown. Your LBD and killer heels will most likely not benefit from the bow you’ve so perfectly placed in your hair.  Just like everything else, there is a time and place for them to be worn, as sad as it is to say.

As a former cheerleader, I hold a special place in my heart for bows. No pony tail is complete without one. No matter where the placement, I always go by the motto, “The bigger the better.” Bows can still be the perfect accessory, just as they were when we were tiny divas. We’re just all grown up now!  As one wise sorority girl once said, “I wear a bow in my hair because I’m a prize to be won. TSM.”