Bow Down: The Year of Queen Beyoncé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If it weren’t already clear to you that Beyoncé is queen, the aftermath of her Grammy performance and unexpected self-titled album – which sold over 800k in the first weekend – proved that she truly does run the world.

It’s no secret that 2013 was the year of Beyoncé, kicking off with her announcement that shocked fans everywhere – Destiny’s Child would reunite to drop a compilation album of love songs.

And honestly, does anyone even remember who won the Super Bowl last year? Oh yeah, that’s right. Beyoncé. The half time show consisted of a huge Beyoncé silhouette, a brief reunion of Destiny’s Child, and a post-performance power outage that proved Beyoncé to be the center of attention that night.

As though her half-time performance wasn’t enough, she also used the time to announce her Mrs. Carter Show World Tour – despite the fact that she knew half of the people watching wouldn’t get tickets. Nearly all shows sold out in mere minutes.

Also, news struck when she shamelessly photo bombed this 15-year-old fan at a concert.

Near the end of the year, Queen Bey figured that she already owned the year, so she chopped off her golden locks. The chop was heard around the world due to her Instagram post rocking an edgy pixie cut.

After Target proclaimed that they would not be selling her new album, Bey visited a Massachusetts Wal-Mart, and Jay-Z & Bey purchased $50 gift cards for fans in the store, totaling over $35,000.

Finally, to finish The Year of Queen Beyoncé, B released her fifth studio album late at night on Dec. 13, rocking the world with the unexpected release of her now-platinum album “Beyoncé.”

Now to kick off 2014, B left everyone talking after a promiscuous, sexy performance with husband Jay-Z at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Will 2014 be another Year of B?