Bonjour le Style! Tips and Tricks to Achieve European Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Oh chante, every fashion magazine is filled with photos of the newest styles from all over the world; however, who is usually always at the top of the list and makes the most stylish apparel? European fashion, without a doubt. From Victoria Beckham’s chic style to Kate Middleton’s classy couture, European women know how to dress to impress, and us Americans can definitely learn a thing or two from their glamorous ways.

The French K.I.S.S.
European women have mastered the idea of the K.I.S.S., or better known as Keep It Simple & Sexy. The idea is that less is more. Loud patterns can be chaotic, as well as take away from the shape of a women’s figure. Try to stick to thin pinstripes or simple patterns instead of intense tiger print (let’s not pull a Snooki).

Invest in Key Accessories

European apparel may be simpler than American style, but their accessories are always what makes their outfits pop. Instead of getting a ton of inexpensive earrings or necklaces from a place where you know in a few months those accessories are going to break or rust, invest in a few, better quality pieces that will not only last longer but look better. This goes for your purse as well.

Quality Over Quantity
European style is all about quality, not quantity. Many European women wear the same accessories on a daily basis, and sometimes the same outfits in one week. Instead of thinking, “I can’t wear this, I just wore it on Thursday!” European women would say, “I wore this one Thursday and it looked awesome, I should totally wear it again”.

Footwear
Flip-flops and sneakers are a no-go; in Europe, you would only want to wear sandals on the beach and sneakers when you’re working out. However, European style isn’t about wearing fancy six-inch high heel shoes either. Go for the happy medium, some cute flats, oxfords, or kitten heels instead of those overly dramatic stilettos. For something more edgy, rock some combat boots and give that European look an American flare.

All Natural, Baby
Most European clothes are made from natural fabrics, such as cotton and wool. These fabrics make style look sophisticated and chic instead of raggy and cheap.

Steer Clear of Extra Fabric
Say goodbye to oversized t-shirts and baggy pants. Euro fashion is always clean cut, with slimming jeans and classic sweaters. Americans tend to wear clothes too big and unflattering. Remember to not wear clothes too tight either; muffin tops are anything but hot.

Next time you look into your closet for some inspiration, think simple and classy…think European!

Katie Kardok is a feature writer for the Her Campus Editorial team at the University of Central Florida. Katie is currently a junior majoring in Psychology. She enjoys pilates, photography, and watching football. Fun fact: She is left handed!