Blake Anderson: CAB Student Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’ve never met Blake Anderson, you’re missing out! This inspiring student leader is outgoing, involved, and very charming. He’s a junior Ad/PR major, yoga lover, and one of UCF’s 10 Most Powerful Students. If you didn’t fall in love with him a few years ago as Campus Cutie, you certainly will now!

HCUCF: Hey Blake! Tell us a little bit about your involvement at UCF.

Blake Anderson: I am the student director of Campus Activities Board (CAB), so I manage CAB as a whole. I make sure that we’re always doing the things that we should be doing. Because of that, I’m also chair of the board of student directors, so I speak to SGA and different entities on behalf of CAB and OSI as a whole.

HCUCF: Your job sounds pretty intense! Do you have fun with it?

BA: Oh yeah, I love it! It wears you out after a year, but I do have to say that its an experience like no other. From concerts to comedy shows to events like TEDxUCF, there are a lot of opportunities you can get out of CAB.

HCUCF: What has been your favorite event that you oversaw?

BA: I’ve always been very into entertainment, so I always enjoy the concerts and comedy shows. But if I had to pick one event, it would probably be Fright Knight. We walked kids through the Lake Claire nature trail, and it was sort of like Halloween Horror Nights. I enjoyed going through it myself, but luckily I knew what was going to happen beforehand. I played tour guide a little bit, and as tour guide you get to mess with some of the students. I really hope its something that CAB can keep doing year after year, because it really was something else.

HCUCF: Do you have any events coming up that our readers should know about?

BA: We have events every single night this week. Monday was Last Knight Standing, Tuesday was our Spring Banquet. Wednesday night is CAB Sessions, we’re going to be at Starbucks. Student talent that wants to perform can come by! Thursday is Symphony Under the Stars, that is probably our last big event for the year. The UCF Symphony will be putting on a production at the Reflection Pond, and there are tons of students that show up, as well as some of the higher-ups. President Hitt loves that event! Its one of the very few times that students are allowed to do something around the pond, and its always a great show. On Friday, we’re partnering with Late Knights and UCF RWC to throw Splashdown. We go to the RWC pool and just throw a giant party. There will be different games and activities, and Knights of the Turntables will be there to make sure the music is always going. So… thats the rest of this week!

HCUCF: So you’re a pretty busy guy! Do you even have free time? What do you do with it?

BA: I enjoy my job and I enjoy working. Even if I wasn’t working with CAB, I’d definitely stop by to meet people. I’m a very personable person, so I like to have those personal interactions. As cliche as it sounds, I enjoy hanging out with friends. Other than that, I really love music. I like to snoop around on Spotify to find new bands and artists. I enjoy working out, going to the gym, longboarding. I’m not really a master of anything, I’m more of a jack of all trades. I like to learn everything I can about everything I pick up, which is really my downfall because I can never get really into something before I find something new. I just kind of bounce around and do whatever I’m feeling.

HCUCF: So what do you think is the most “out there” or surprising hobby that you’ve picked up?

BA: There are a few things, but one thing not many people see me doing is that I regularly practice doing yoga. Its not odd these days, but a lot of times I’m the only guy in class.

HCUCF: What are your goals before you graduate?

BA: My biggest goal is probably graduating with a job. (Author’s note: Blake knows whats up.)

HCUCF: What is your dream job?

BA: Like I said earlier, I really like entertainment. I love music. I see myself being a leader behind a band or an artist, being a manager. That would be my dream job. Practically, I’d like to work in advertising. I appreciate all parts of the advertising world.

HCUCF: You mentioned that you love music. What are you listening to right now?

BA: The last song played on my iTunes is “Your Love” by Dirty Heads. I listen to a lot of reggae music, which surprises people. Other than that, I do enjoy house music. I’m not the biggest fan of all of it, but it goes through a rigorous test to see if I like it or not. I listen to everything though. Music definitely has a really big impact on my life because of the way it makes me feel.

HCUCF: How about TV? Do you have a Netflix guilty pleasure?

BA: I don’t have a Netflix, and I don’t even think my TV is hooked up to cable! My mom, who lives in North Carolina, will still warn me when hurricanes are coming because she knows better than I do. But my favorite show would have to be River Monsters. I think it is so cool! I’ve seen six seasons, and I’m watching the seventh now.

HCUCF: Do you have any advice for UCF students that are interested in getting involved on campus?

BA: Just ask questions. If you have a question, ask it. If you’re interested in getting involved, and you see someone who is involved, just ask them. Get as much information as you can. My whole life would be different if I didn’t ask, “Hey, whats CAB?”

Author’s note: Asking questions is a great way to connect and get involved! 30 seconds after I met Blake for the first time, I asked him to take a selfie with me for a scavenger hunt. He did. Here’s proof.

HCUCF: So I think its safe to say that your involvement on campus has had a positive impact on your college experience.

BA: Absolutely. It is my college experience. Thats how I always want it to be.

HCUCF: I do have one more question regarding your Campus Cutie article… They asked boobs or butt?

BA: I said butt. And I still stand by that statement. If it has to be one of those choices, butt.

HCUCF: And if you can choose from everything?

BA: Face. Well… eyes first. Then face.

Maddie is a senior Marketing major at UCF. When she's not writing for Her Campus or her personal blog, you can find her hanging out at Fashion Club or in OSI working on the Mr. and Miss UCF shows. Despite popular belief, Maddie isn't actually the tallest girl in the world. If you're wondering where you've seen her before, it was most likely at a #UCFBusiness event. Maddie enjoys loud pop music, scented candles, and any food with sprinkles on top. She often discusses the SNL cast as if it is a sports team, and likes to pretend that this is endearing. Follow Maddie on Instagram and Twitter! 
Molly Slicker is a Human Communication major with a minor in Film. She is an entertainment junkie who appreciates good humor, good vocabulary and good friends. She gets way too attached to fictional characters and her favorite sports teams. She is inspired by her family, faith and the 2001-2002 cast of Saturday Night Live. Follow Molly on Twitter for mostly sarcastic updates about celebrities and her life's awkward situations or on Instagram for pictures of her feeble attempts at craftiness