Best Events of Orlando

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Stuck in Orlando all spring break with absolutely nothing to do? Afraid you’re going to be home alone playing with your cats? Or refreshing your Facebook every five minutes to constantly update yourself on how much fun your friends are having in Miami or Cancun? Not a problem! Orlando has a lot to offer you stay-at-home spring breakers from theme parks and special events to outdoor adventures and little getaways to get that perfect tan you want. Here’s my personally compiled list of the best events in Orlando for you to do on your spring break:

Go to a show! There’s something for every music lover this spring break. Catch one of these awesome shows going on:

1. Wicked, Bob Carr Performing Arts Center. Runs every night through Sun., March 10. It’s a musical about the young lives of the witches of Oz, pre-Dorothy!
    2. Mardi Gras, Universal Studios. See Demi Lovato on Sat., March 2 or Montgomery Gentry on Sat., March 9. Enjoy their amazing parade, crazy performers, Cajun cuisine, and tons of beads!
    3. The Supervillains, Sports Page Live, Satellite Beach. Fri., March 8 and Sat., March 9. Just over an hour away, the drive is totally worth it for this awesome reggae concert, their crazy-cool selection of beers, and did I mention it’s right on the beach?!
    4. Shinedown, Three Days Grace, and P.O.D., Amway Center. This alternative, hard rock concert is going to be one rowdy experience.
    5. Adam Ferrera, the Orlando Improv. Fri., March 8 and Sat., March 9. Right now on Groupon.com snag two tickets for $15! Adam is a TV-vetted comedian whose had specials on Comedy Central and roles in many different shows. Laugh your a** off this spring break!

If you’re looking for a little more variety and excitement, check out these one-of-a-kind events and mini road trips you can take on your day off:

1. Florida Strawberry Festival, Plant City. Runs through Sun. March 10. This is one heck of a festival, featuring midway rides, concerts, and tons of food-eating contests.
  2. St. Patrick’s Day Parade, from Winter Park Country Club, down Park Ave. to Lyman Ave., Winter Park. Sun. March 3, 2 p.m.It’s never too early to start celebrating the traditional Irish holiday! After the parade there will be Celtic dancers and performances.
  3. Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination, Orlando Science Center. This touring exhibit has over 10,000 square feet of displays, costumes, and props from the films. Additionally, there are video interviews with filmmakers and interactive, engineering design labs where you can build your own robot.

And if you’re looking for a little more excitement, Orlando has so much natural land to explore and hand-on activities to try. Here are some of the best outdoor adventures of Orlando:

1. Wekiwa Springs State Park, Longwood. This 7,000-acre park consists of a huge fresh water river, 13.5 miles of hiking trails, recreational camping areas, and their beloved spring as the main attraction. So take a small vacay, you know you need it! Lounge out and relax by the water or go on an intense trek!
  2. Boggy Creek Airboat Rides, Orlando. Explore the uncharted lands of the Central Florida Everglades and see the natural wonders you didn’t know existed on a personal airboat ride. The boat reaches speeds up to 45 mph and shoots between the walls of tall grass.
  3. Rebounderz. Orlando. This is an indoor trampoline arena, in which all of the floors and walls are covered in trampolines. Get some exercise and bounce around in this extreme set-up. It’s so cheap and so worth it!
UCF Contributor