This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The holiday season is upon us! Whether your parties are in person or via Zoom, it’s important to always have something sweet to end the perfect meal. Baking is the perfect stress reliever and will put a smile on anyone’s face. If you’re new to cooking or baking, start off with boxed mixes and work your way up to scratch recipes.

As the baker of my family, I can attest that these five recipes will become your staple desserts (as they’ve become mine)!

Sugar Cookies 

The classic sugar cookie is the most versatile treat on this list. You can cut out the dough in a variety of shapes (pumpkin, turkey, snowman, menorah, etc). Just add icing and sprinkles to complete this dessert! Check out this tried and true recipe by Sally’s Baking Addiction here.

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies 

This is the most perfect recipe I’ve ever tried. I make these cookies twice a week because they’re that good. You won’t be able to stop making them these next few months! Click here for this life-changing delicacy.

Lemon Bundt Cake 

This bundt cake will convert anyone to love lemon-flavored cake. I make this for my mom a few times a year, and I already know it’ll be on our Thanksgiving table. For the icing, I mix powdered sugar and milk until I reach a thick yet pourable consistency.

Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies 

A December favorite for me, these crinkle cookies look like snow has fallen on top of them! They’re not for the faint of heart and are extremely decadent.

Cheesecake 

Cheesecake can be flavored in so many ways. Here’s the best recipe for a classic cheesecake. Add chocolate, Oreos or peanut butter to spice things up!

Baking is one of my biggest passions. It gives me a chance to create something with my own hands to share with others (and their stomachs). It can be intimidating at first, but trust me, you won’t regret starting! This holiday season looks different for everyone, but let’s not lose the holiday spirit. If you try one of these recipes, let me know if you enjoyed it! For my experienced bakers, send me your favorite recipes, and I might just make it this season!

Stay safe, healthy and jolly!

Genesis M. is a senior studying advertising and public relations at the University of Central Florida. She dreams to work in PR in the theme park or entertainment industry. When she isn't writing, she can be found baking, singing or dancing (sometimes all at once!) You can follow her on Instagram @genesismargolis to keep up with her next steps.
UCF Contributor