The Driver Era concert
The Driver Era concert
Gianna Aceto

Being The Driver Era’s Photographer for the Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Live music is back and so is The Driver Era with their long-awaited Girlfriend Tour. The alternative group is comprised of Ross and Rocky Lynch, brothers and bandmates who used to be known as the musical group R5. Their latest album Girlfriend is a unique blend of records that satisfies both rock and pop genres. The tour that was previously postponed due to COVID is now making stops all across North America, Europe and South America. I was lucky enough to attend The Driver Era’s show in Orlando and photograph them.

The Wrecks and Moontower opened for The Driver Era in their sold-out show at the Plaza Live in Orlando. Not every venue survived the pandemic and now, they face greater competition with large venues such as the Amway Center. The feat of selling out smaller local venues after a pandemic helps describe how loyal their fan base is. The line for general admission wrapped around the Plaza Live as people were eager to see the band in their post-pandemic comeback tour. I had never heard of the first opener, Moontower, but instantly gravitated towards their upbeat liveliness and Britney Spears cover song. The Wrecks opened second and stole the show whilst interacting with the crowd, sounding insanely good live. I’ve been listening to their music non-stop since the show. Photographing concerts from the pit, (the gap between the barricade and the stage), is always exciting because I get to experience the show from a creative point of view while enjoying music with fans around me. 

A shift in energy washed through the room when Ross and Rocky stepped on stage. Their pop-rock star presence was evident when the entire audience was on their feet screaming. The mix of colorful lighting, great fashion sense and animated performers make my job much easier when taking photos. The intimate nature of the Plaza Live allowed for fans to toss items on stage for Ross and Rocky to wear such as a mini tiara, fuzzy cowboy hat and Elton John-esqe sunglasses. There was no Frankie Jonas of this band because siblings Rydel and Riker Lynch were accompanying The Driver Era by playing background instruments. I was impressed by the number of guitars used during the show and it made all the difference. Hearing their records live, you can’t help but notice every layer of instrumentals and vocal work that goes into shaping their discography. Ross even sang a cover of “Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon before ending the show with their most popular song “A Kiss,” also a favorite of mine.

The Driver Era is autonomous in that they write and produce their songs. It checks all the boxes of great performers in addition to their other artistic talents such as acting, as you may recognize Ross Lynch from Netflix’s Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. The music feels more personal and special when the artists are the driving forces behind it, no pun intended. It will be exciting to see where The Driver Era goes in the future of touring and growth in the music industry. 

If you would like to see additional photos from the Orlando show, visit my Instagram @GiannaAcetoPhoto.

Gianna Aceto is a student at the University of Central Florida majoring in Integrative General Studies with focuses on Entertainment Management and Visual Arts. Her interests include photography, entertainment and writing. The topics she is most passionate about covering are mental health, entertainment and lifestyle.