Baby Yoda Is the Best Part of ‘The Mandalorian’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Babies who go viral on the internet: we know them, we love them. Recently, the likes of the Peanut Butter Baby and the Royal Babies have met their match. Enter the cutest thing on this side of the galaxy: Baby Yoda. 

Baby Yoda was fully introduced in the second episode of the Disney+ original series, The Mandalorian, titled “The Child.” Since the episode’s release, the internet has collectively caught a case of alien baby fever.

Okay, so, technically, according to the timeline of events in the Star Wars universe, the little creature can’t actually be Yoda. Executive Producer of The Mandalorian, Jon Favreau, shared that the series takes place five years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983). At the time of writing, Yoda’s species has not yet been revealed. However, I will be referring to the character as “Baby Yoda” for continuity’s sake.

In the episode, the titular bounty hunter is on a mission to find a “special asset,” which turns out to be a 50-year-old, yet adorably small, Yoda look-alike. Baby Yoda has quickly tugged at the heartstrings of viewers, as well as The Mandalorian cast member Werner Herzog. Herzog, who plays the man that places Baby Yoda’s bounty, described the little alien as “heartbreakingly beautiful […] it made you cry when you saw it.” It’s very rare that Star Wars fans can agree on anything, so it’s especially impressive that Baby Yoda has managed to do so in a matter of days.

In case you’re still doubting how truly amazing Baby Yoda is, here are just a few reasons he’s making everyone’s heart melt.

He has a floating crib

After retrieving Baby Yoda, the Mandalorian must bring him back to the Client (Herzog). Throughout the whole journey, Baby Yoda floats alongside the Mandalorian, tucked snugly into his levitating space crib. 

He can use the Force

While Baby Yoda may not be a full-on Jedi Master yet, he was able to show off his talents with the Force to save the Mandalorian from a beastly creature. And, of course, he’s a baby, so he has to take a nap afterward.

He’s just so darn cute

Just look at that face! And those ears! He’s wearing a sweater!!! It’s all too much and I want 10 of my own Baby Yodas. 

While only a few episodes have aired so far, The Mandalorian has already proved to be a highly-enjoyed series. You can catch new episodes of The Baby Yoda Show — sorry, The Mandalorian, every Friday on Disney+.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Ashley is a social media guru, writer, and film lover. Originally from Chicago, she is now studying Entertainment Management at the University of Central Florida. When she’s not online, Ashley enjoys baking and matcha lattes.
UCF Contributor