Atlanta Born, Raised, and “Minute Made”: Malachiae Warren

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Summer is so close that I can taste the sunshine. You’re going to need new summer jams to listen to while laying out by the pool or the beach, and I’ve definitely got you covered! I had the honor of interviewing Atlanta’s very own, Malachiae Warren. Being born in raised in Atlanta, Georgia, it only felt fitting to enter the music scene there. Atlanta is known for producing great musical talent and Malachiae is no exception. He is taking the R&B world by a storm and you’ll have his songs stuck in your head soon enough. If you love Hip Hop, than you’ve got to check out our exclusive interview with him below. Enjoy!

Her Campus UCF (HCUCF): So, being from such a musically influential city like Atlanta, who would you say are the artists that have had the greatest impact on your career?

Malachiae Warren (MW): Ludacris, Monica and Usher have definitely been there for me musically. They’ve had such a big impact on other artists and listeners, too. They inspired me to pursue music and showed me that it is possible to reach your goals in terms of the music industry.

HCUCF: If you had to tour with any artist in the world, who would it be, and why?

MW: Probably Chris Brown. He was really young when he started off in music and I’m very young. I’m only 20 years-old and to look at how far he has come musically and to see where he is now really makes me want to work hard each and every day. He might beat me in a dance competition, but I think he would be really fitting to tour with because all R&B artists, including myself, speak about the same topics in our music, so it would just work.

HCUCF: Your video for “Minute Made” dropped on Monday. What was filming for that video like?

MW: It was really dope and filmed in my hometown of Atlanta! I liked how there was so many wardrobe changes, and the sets were very different from one another. I wanted to make it visually different, compared to my previous videos, and I think I accomplished that. To me, I look it as a transition into a fun, youthful flavor that I think guys and girls can both enjoy.

HCUCF: Your EP “Heard You Was In My City” is out now. What is something you’d like your potential, new fans to know about yourself when listening to this EP?

MW: The story behind the whole EP is about a real life experience I had with an ex-girlfriend. Every time she would come to Atlanta, we would kick it and hang out. As time went on, she wanted more out of the relationship than I did and the timing was off. Then one time, I heard that she came to Atlanta and she didn’t blow up my phone so I was kind of shocked. So basically, the entire EP is about that experience.

HCUCF: I like how the EP is a story based on your life. Speaking of it, what song off your EP “Heard You Was In My City” is your favorite, and why?

MW: All of the songs off my EP are my favorite because each song plays its own role to the whole story of it. Each individual song is based off a real feeling and situation I’ve experienced and it just ties the EP together.

HCUCF: Do you have any advice for people trying to live out their dreams as music artists?

MW: I’ve definitely had my doubts when it comes to my musical journey as an artist. I guess I would just say to prove it to yourself and everyone around you that you can make it. Believe in God (or in a higher power or whatever you so chose) and just put forth the effort into making your dreams a reality.  

HCUCF: I love that! I think a lot of people can connect with that. Okay, time for a fun question! If you could describe yourself in one emoji, which emoji would it be, and why?

MW: Hold on let me look at the list of emojis. Okay, let’s see. Hmm…probably the one with all its teeth showing and it is kind of smiling, but not smiling. Mood changes day-to-day so I think that emoji sums me up.

HCUCF: If you had to live with only one social media site for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

MW: It would have to be Instagram because it helped me build my fan base and I love Instagram DMs for hittin’ up girls. 

HC UCF: What is your go-to song you belt out in the shower?

MW: This is kind of surprising, but I would say “Maria Maria” by Santana. I don’t know what he is saying in Spanish besides when he sings “Maria Maria” but it just puts me in a good mood and has a nice, fun vibe. 

If you’re a current or new fan of Malachaie, like myself, make sure you keep up with him on all his social media accounts, and maybe send him an Instagram DM, haha ;)

Website

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

Snapchat: iamMalachaie

Image: 1

Media and tools provided by Motown Records, Universal Music Group.

Junior at the University of Central Florida. In the words of Britney Spears, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman".
UCF Contributor