Approaching Guys: Not So Scary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In this day in age, I think it’s safe to say that girls are allowed to approach guys. No longer are the days of courting and women being second class to men. Women are definitely allowed to approach men – so let’s make this chase a bit more exciting. In my findings, I saw a pretty common consensus that guys would LOVE for you to approach them.  Why? That’s one more step they don’t have to do, and we all know guys can be pretty lazy.

What’s the benefit in approaching a guy? Well honey, if you don’t talk to him, if you don’t do something to catch his attention, he doesn’t even know you exist. It’s a simple as that. But on the Brightside, I have comforting news for you! Check out what I found – here are some methods that guys themselves said they would like to be approached with.

Jackson Darnell, Junior: DO – “Introduce, smile, tease/humor/joke to show interest, basically if you show interest in him, he will definitely reciprocate.”
DON’T – “Talk about annoying topics (Gossip Girl, how much of a b!tch some girl is, iPhones); don’t be superficial.” 

Trevor Hardeman, Senior: DO – “Ask something about a mutual class, good interaction where he can make a move if he WANTS (like asking you for your digits).”
DON’T – “Ask for his digits. If he’s interested, he will ask you.”

Brandon Ramsey, Sophomore: DO – “Just say ‘Hey’ and introduce yourself. It’s as simple as that.”
DON’T – “Don’t go overboard, just be you.”

Allen Park, Senior: DO – “Go up, say ‘Hi,’ smile, and wait for him to respond, then move on to small talk generic things. He’ll become interested.”
DON’T – “Be way over the top, be TOO interested, ask too many questions, or too personal of questions for a stranger.”

So, I’m not telling you to ask a guy out to dinner. They can do that part. Step one is getting their attention. Step two is just to let it happen. Also, I’m not saying this is the only way things work. What I am doing is encouraging you to step outside of your box. Be fearless and leave nothing unsaid. Like I mentioned before, they don’t know you’re there unless you give them a reason to pay attention. Believe me, each one of you girls has a million reasons to shine; you just have to let him know that.

-YGBFF