This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Raunchy and cutthroat only describes the surface of what makes British electronic rock duo WARGASM incredibly unique. Born during the COVID-19 lockdown era while gaining popular traction online, WARGASM has garnered the attention of over 330,000 listeners worldwide. Since then, they have performed alongside the likes of rap rock Florida natives Limp Bizkit, pop punk band Neck Deeps, and rock band My Chemical Romance. The band is comprised of singer/bassist Milkie Way, and singer/guitarist Sam Matlock. WARGASM is a fierce duo determined to leave their mark in the music world by connecting the ferocity of emotion into something you can scream about. 

With the release of EXPLICIT: The MiXXXtape, one of their first larger projects, WARGASM exemplifies how experimentation can lead to roaring success: with inspiration from rap, hip-hop, EDM, and heavy metal, their sound is so uniquely WARGASM that it is impossible to disconcert them with any other band. On top of their sound, their lyrics connect a story of catharsis. Lyrics from EXPLICIT: The MiXXXtape demonstrate that their talent lies in their vivid storytelling with highlights from “Super Fiend” (“I’m a death’s row daughter, got so caught up in the slaughter“) and “Salma Hayek” (“…if we put our money where our mouth is, would we be able to talk?“).

The band definitely prefers it this way, with dark anarchic symphonies and savagery holding their tongues. They don’t want to be trapped in a metaphorical genre box. Matlock emphasized that to him, success is defined by “having a unique sound and being able to find an energy that connects with everyone. Watching WARGASM live, it’s obvious that the connection is there and growing at an accelerated rate. Their high energy is addictive and they provide a vessel of rage rather than a voice of reason; when WARGASM plays a set, they want to inspire clarity, not hope.

EXPLICIT: The MiXXXtape is only just the beginning for WARGASM, with the duo agreeing that more experimentation and good collaborations are in their future. Fans should expect “more sex, more violence, good collaborations,” as their music continues to evolve. While their sound is outlandish for some and therapeutic for others, WARGASM is a band here to stay. 

Part-time pop music enthusiast and full-time bookworm, Kiara is a senior hoping to graduate with a bachelor's in ad/pr and sociology. Her passion for the arts, both written and unwritten, has led her to frequent concerts, museums, and even gardens. Kiara hopes that her dedication to both writing and music will begin her media career in the music industry.