Andie Anderson: A Character You Can Look Up To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’ve never seen How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, you’ve never been acquainted with such a woman like Andie Anderson, thus you’ve never gotten the chance to fall in love with everything about her character.

Played by Kate Hudson, who is, in reality, strikingly similar to her on screen character in more ways than one, Andie writes frivolous “How To” articles for an up and coming New York magazine.  Her ambition gets her into an article that, ultimately, gets her into trouble with a guy she ends up falling in love with. It’s on Netflix.  You know what you gotta do.

There are so many things I admire about Hudson’s character that make her my personal idol, like the fact that she’s a writer, that she NEVER wears a bra and that she knows exactly how to be the kind of crazy that boys secretly like.  But Andie is not just my perfect role model, her character should speak to any girl in high school and college and here’s why:

1. She’s a great friend. Andie Anderson is all about her girlfriends. She always tells it how it is but she’s careful not to hurt any feelings. She is the first one to volunteer to help a friend in need and she knows exactly how to do it. Being and having a good friend like Andie is important and she knows that first and foremost.

2. She loves sports. On the outside, Andie is the most petite, pretty, little lady you’ve ever seen, but she has an unadulterated and unsuppressed love for sports.  Andie’s shameless love for basketball, especially, sends the right message to girls that you can openly show your love for things that aren’t considered girly.  Being yourself and being comfortable in your skin is key to Andie’s character.

3. She is so super confident in her own skin. Andie has such a high self esteem.  She can literally rock anything she wears and it’s not just because she is majorly perfect.  She has the confidence to back it up.  This is the kind of woman that young girls need to look up to, especially in a society that is so rough on us. Strive to have an Andie Anderson type of confidence and you’ll be just fine.

4. She is so so driven.  Andie got a graduate’s degree in Journalism from Columbia University.  Everything she does, she does with all her heart and soul, full commitment,  from pursuing stories to petty karaoke. She knows what she wants to do with her life and she pulls out all the stops on her way to achieving her goals.  Any girl could benefit from an ambition like Andie’s.

5. She is the greatest of all time. She can hook a guy in one night, toy with him for 10 days following, being the craziest girlfriend in the history of ever, and STILL end up with a young, super hot, super muscley, Matthew McConaughey. Like, how does she do that and could she tell me, please?

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jess is in her third year at UCF. She is an Advertising and Public Relations major who absolutely loves to write. Jess also tutors on campus at the Writing Center. When she is not writing, working or studying, you can find Jess at the pool, since she loves to swim and play water polo. Jess is super energetic and friendly, so if you see her on campus be sure to say hi! Go Knights!
UCF Contributor