A Guide to Some of the Best LGBTQIA+ Friendly Spots Near Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a member of the LQBTQIA+ community, I know the struggle of moving to a new place and trying to find a place where I feel welcomed and accepted. Over time, I have found several spots around campus that are more than welcoming and have made my college life better. Whether you are looking for a chill coffee spot or a place to party with your friends, Orlando has a ton to offer, even within 30 minutes of UCF’s campus!

Coffee shops

As a student, I appreciate a study spot that has delicious snacks, coffee, and tea. Though many places around campus meet these qualifications, these two coffee shops always go above and beyond.

Stardust

Located off a quiet side street in Winter Park, Stardust Coffee is a hidden gem buried within the Milk District. Not only does it serve a wide assortment of teas and coffees, but it also provides a positive atmosphere like no other. As soon as you step through the unassuming doors, you are immediately greeted with walls decorated floor to ceiling with book pages and pictures. Bookcases filled with new and recycled books line the hallways, ready to be read with a cup of coffee.

As well as being a great study spot, Stardust hosts monthly events for anyone in the community, including pride events. Anybody is welcome to attend and participate in any of these events in a judgment-free environment.

austin’s coffee

While searching for a late-night study spot near campus, I stumbled across a small, battered building in Winter Park. Though it doesn’t look like all that from the outside, inside is an absolute treasure trove full of house-made coffee and local brews. Serving fresh sandwiches, salads, and drinks, Austin’s is the place to go for people from all different backgrounds. Whether you are attending one of their numerous open mics or playing one of their many board games with some friends, Austin’s is there to provide 24/7 (and I really mean 24/7).

NightLife

Looking for a little late-night fun? Look no further!

Southern nights

If you asked someone on campus for a gay bar in the Orlando area, I am almost certain they would direct you to Southern Nights: an iconic club located in Downtown Orlando. Not only does it offer killer drinks and great music, but there are regular live drag shows along with drag TV show viewings. People from all over the community come out to participate and support, giving this club a very local and comfortable feel.

Under 21? No worries, Southern Nights allows 18+ almost every night, so you can enjoy the fun environment alcohol-free! Whether you are a resident or just someone here for vacation, Southern Nights is a place you have to see!

the patio

If you are looking for a more traditional club, Patio is the place for you. Hidden behind a service door in the back of a traditional-looking bar, Patio is quite literally a patio! Being completely outside is what draws a lot of people to this club, but they stay for the fun environment and the great music.

Although they normally only let in people 21+, 18+ are free to get in during Ladies Night on Thursdays. With a variety of different nights, every single one is guaranteed to be a good time.

Events

Not only does Orlando provide multiple safe spaces for the LGBTQIA+ community, but it also plays host to different pride events throughout the year.

June and October pride

For those who haven’t gone to a pride festival before, prepare to be amazed, as Orlando holds two of the best pride festivals in the country every year! Semi-annually, all of Downtown Orlando turns into a massive rainbow, as residents decorate and prepare for the upcoming pride festival. Streets are closed down and filled with vendors, as people from all over the world fly in to experience this amazing event. Anyone of any age is welcome to attend and it is free for the general public, making it a great day out for the whole family.

Gaydays Orlando

What once started as a joke between friends, has now developed into a much larger organization that gives LGBTQIA+ Disney fans a safe space to relax and meet with people of similar interests. GayDayS hosts countless events throughout the year, giving guests a non-traditional Disney experience.

Although many of their events require guests to be 21+, they do host other events throughout the year that are less party-driven. If you have the opportunity to go to a GayDayS event, I would definitely recommend going. It is the experience of a lifetime!

Orlando is a massive city and there are a ton of safe spaces for people of the LGBTQIA+ community within a short distance of campus. With plenty of other places and events not listed, it is clear that Orlando has a little bit of everything for everybody, no matter your age or background.

A current student at the University of Central Florida studying English on the creative writing track, and a writer on the UCF Her Campus team, as well as a server at Bahama Breeze. Very interested in getting into the world of publishing and seeing what it can offer. She received her Associate of Arts degree from the University of Central Florida, after taking dual enrollment courses at Saint Johns River State College in high school. She hopes to get into a Creative Writing MFA program after she graduates with her Creative Writing undergraduate degree, to further her education and writing skills. She is looking forward to learning and writing articles that everyone will love.