This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Commuting isn’t for the faint of heart, I for one can attest to that, as a commuter for the past year, this has been one of the biggest challenges I’ve faced so far. For me, it’s been an adventurous journey of I-4 traffic (I’m looking at you, Mickey), driving for many hours and keeping safe amidst some of the crazy drivers on the road throughout all conditions imaginable.

Commuting is by far a lot cheaper than looking at some of the apartment choices in Orlando especially given the boom of the housing market and prices galore. But in some cases, you really must compare what you’re saving and sacrificing when looking to rent versus the joys of being a commuter. So I began to ask, to rent or not to?

Here you’ll see the list of things to consider when looking at considering where to rent or not for the upcoming Fall school year as a commuter, and these are just some of the things to think about when you are making your choices, I’m sure the list can vary from commuter to commuter, these are just some of the big ones I found for myself.

The Joys of being a Commuter

1. Money Saved

For those of you who know, Orlando is not for the faint of heart. Between rent, fun activities and food, there are many ways to spend your hard-earned cash and the list is endless. But while you aren’t living in apartments you can save on utilities, groceries and more.

2. No Random Roomies

Since you’re still living in a familiar environment, you don’t have to worry about random roomies that you might be set up with through a matching service. Plus, you know the routine of who you’re living with. You don’t have to worry about the nightmares that you often read about on Google reviews for various places, which seem to be endless and infinite. Moreover, you can rest easy knowing that your space is only yours without anybody coming in and intruding on it.

3. Sacred Routine

You have your own routine, whether it be jumbled or not, it’s your routine. On your own, you must have it all handled; food preparation, convincing yourself to do things you most definitely don’t want to do and so forth. On your own, you’re in a sense your own parent, which I’m sure you’re no stranger to hearing if you’re on the TikTok side of the self-care productivity trap.

Sacrifices as a Commuter

1. Time

If you’re anything like me, you’re tired of seeing the road go on and on like Celine Dion’s heart. The road stretches on and on, and it leads you to question the roads you’ve taken especially when you’re sitting in rush hour traffic and trying to merge into the daily Disney traffic.

2. FOMO

When you’re a commuter, you must make sacrifices when it comes to activities on campus. Although UCF has no shortage of events or ways to spend your day, as a commuter you can’t go to them all. Picking and choosing and planning every time you come to campus — which rains on the parade of the fun that college is so often rumored to have. So, you must sit out and see them from a distance otherwise you’d be driving for hours at a time.

3. Gas & Mileage

This one should go without saying. But mileage and gas are the first things to go when you’re a commuter. You put lots of wear and tear on your vehicle and it’s basically like one of your homes. In addition, it can put thousands of miles on the car and with the price of gas going up and up — that’s a big concern to consider.

In the end, the choice is ultimately yours. To be or not to be a renter or a commuter. The choices are as vast as
Robert Frost’s unwinding roads. And whichever road you decide not to take is an option for the future and another journey for you to think about. There are sacrifices and joys to being a commuter, but ultimately just how much these issues dance in your mind and how you plan and handle things determines which life best suits you. Don’t be afraid to try both and see what works for you. Happy browsing if you decide to rent, and if not, blast some great music and crack down the windows while you drive (might I suggest some of the great Her Campus Playlists, feel free to search and see).

Gabriela is a junior at the University of Central Florida and a writer for Her Campus at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a degree in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Psychology. When she's not studying she is singing, doing photography, or watching Netflix.