A Boring Life Is a Happy Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I just celebrated my 22nd birthday, and with a birthday passing comes communication with people with who I don’t normally interact on a regular basis. These conversations are usually buttered up with “how’s everything?” and all I have to say is “good!”

This, for the first time ever, is the truth and the honest truth. I graduate college in May, have an amazing full-time job and drama-free life. It’s almost weird to be able to say that I don’t have much to complain about other than homework and a global pandemic. 

Basically, my life is boring. If I went back in time and told 18-year-old me that I was wrapping up college in the most mundane, “boring” way possible, I’d be crying and throwing up. I literally would not get how I’d be at peace with the fact that I am going with the flow for my post-graduation life. I’ve really embraced the fact that life is not always going to turn out the way that you necessarily plan it to be.

I would’ve never planned for a gap year after college, but then again, I would’ve never been able to expect that a global pandemic would break out and make me feel like over half of my college experience was robbed. I would’ve never expected that my high school part-time job became a successful career.

The greatest thing about life is the fact that things happen that you simply just cannot plan.

Life honestly is better with a sense of peace, believe it or not. It’s nice to simply have people in your life who love you, care about you and are not in it for drama or backstabbing. It’s okay to be single because the right person will come when the right moment comes.

Life is okay when things are boring because as long as you are happy, it’ll never actually be boring.

Steph is in her fourth year studying biomedical science and neuropsychology at the University of Central Florida. She is very much into going to the theme parks in Orlando and spends her day loving dogs and hyping over Harry Potter. When she's not writing, she's dying over MCAT prep, volunteering, research, or binge watching the latest Netflix show. Instagram: @stephaaniejimenez