UCF Reflection Pond
UCF Reflection Pond
Original photo by Anna Tam
Life > Experiences

Highlights of My College Experience at UCF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

My time at UCF has been rewarding and full of growth. In May, I’ll say goodbye to the campus where I’ve developed friendships, participated in campus organizations and created memories. As a senior, I cherish each year of my college experience here at UCF.

Specifically, Her Campus has played a significant role in shaping my writing career. During freshman year, my friend, Chelsea, shared one of her articles on social media. At the time, I did not know about such an opportunity. I’d been overwhelmed with the number of clubs on campus. Since I was curious about how the organization worked, I asked Chelsea questions. The more Chelsea told me about Her Campus, the more I wanted to join. To my excitement, staff writer applications opened a few weeks later for the spring semester. Later, I leaped with joy after receiving the acceptance email.

At the first meeting, I stood in a room of diverse women who wanted to tell stories. The room erupted with laughter and conversations about the latest topics. The meeting was far from boring. During my sophomore year, some members started a book club. Unsurprisingly, we chose to read Stephen King’s Carrie in October. Social gatherings, such as the book club, introduced me to friends and made me love the organization even more.

I was also thrilled to have the freedom to write about anything — from academics to music and entertainment. In my time with Her Campus, I’ve additionally had the opportunity to read the stories of other members, who’ve continued to inspire me.

Little did I know how many doors the publication would open. Along with writing about topics I care about, I’ve learned more about the journalism industry. As I look back, my favorite article I’ve written is “Meet Fabron Alexis, a UCF Student Who Performed at the Super Bowl.” Without Her Campus, I wouldn’t have experienced the chance to talk with guest speakers and conduct interviews for articles. Since 2019, I’ve been writing for the online magazine, and it’s been nothing short of amazing.

My college career hasn’t only been great due to Her Campus. Over the past four years, I’ve also attended various academic achievement ceremonies. The College of Arts and Humanities scholarship breakfast remains one of my favorite memories from UCF. Professors and other staff celebrated scholarship recipients over breakfast at the Celeste Hotel. My other friends, most of which I’d met in organizations or class, sat nearby as we listened to guest speakers and the band. Each of us was grateful to share the joyful moment together. It’s an event I’ll remember for years to come.

Though graduation is approaching and college is almost over, UCF will forever have a place in my heart. Four years ago, I stepped onto campus for the first time. Since then, the friendships, organizations and adventures have all contributed to my UCF experience.

Deanna is a senior majoring in English Creative Writing at UCF along with an Editing and Publishing certificate. After graduation, she plans to pursue an editorial career. When she's not writing or studying, she loves singing, listening to music, and watching scary movies.